Mt. Stone conditions

miladugga

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a guy I work for just tried to do it maybe a week and a half ago, he blamed his partner for their lack of a summit. Guess he was way out of shape and took forever. Didn't say anything about the road being out and from looking over thataway it appears that much of the snow in the olympics is gone.

Thank You for asking! Yes, Zack and I finally summitted (third try) and it was great. To answer my own questions, the road was perfect, we parked at the bottom of the Putvin Trail. Snow was visible up high, so we took ice axe and crampons. The axes were handy for glissading down the remaining snowfields in the bowl below the summit, but were not needed for ascending. The crampons were not used, but enjoyed the trip. I tried to upload some photos, but after an hour of screwing around I have given up. The wildflowers were amazing, great time to be up there!

Mt Stone is one of my favorite summits in the olys. Nice day hike, great views, and a nice scramble to the summit...not to mention the route finding if its your first time up there and you don't know the way. I remember the first time I climbed it we totally screwed the final part of the approach and got the crap scared out of us on some gully, but still managed to get up there and tag the summit. Can't wait to do it again.

LOL, yes we had some route finding issues. First we detoured to St. Peter's Gate thinking it might be the way. Then for some reason I believed a gully just after you turn the corner towards the ridge was the "short scramble" and headed up it. I soon found I was unable to reverse a couple of moves and scared the crap out of myself free soloing some 5.6 or.7 in hiking boots pulling on olympics rock. I was so glad to live, but I ended up on the little snow field below the ridge. I though it was a first ascent, but it sounds like apparently not! I did the same thing on Mt. Washington, I'm not sure whats wrong with me!