Serpentine Arete Trip Report (Dragontail)

MX

I climbed Serpentine Arete on Dragontail yesterday. The route, approach and descent are all in good condition. I used lightweight hikers for the approach, and brought ski poles and a lightweight ice axe. I could have done without the ice axe, but still used it on the descent. I did not bring crampons and didn't need them. If I were to go again soon, I'd simply bring a Whippet pole and a regular pole. There are some hard patches of snow on the descent, but the consequences of a slide are minimal. Asgaard Pass is snow free. Those are the basic facts.

I took some gratuitous photos and video on my solo ascent. For those interested, click this link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116120865100448623226/SerpentineSolo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I carried everything over the top, but didn't have much. What I had went into the pack at the base of the rock, including approach shoes, poles, ice axe, etc. Out came the daisies and cams and harness. Up I went, about 2.5 hours on to summit, then off with the harness, rock shoes, cams, etc. and back into hiking mode with poles. It would be a big hassle to get back to the base of the route to pick stuff up and you pretty much need everything else to get back down, so I don't recommend the gear stash. If you need to stash gear, you have too much! :)