Bugs chicken wire

jesselillis

Is there a sufficient chicken wire cache at the parking lot that I can bank on there being some when I get there to wrap my car?

[Just to clarify I am not asking if I need to use it (I plan to); I'm asking if I need to bring my own, or if there is sufficient discarded wire on hand that I can use that]

Thanks

Edited by jesselillis

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly yes. If the parking lot is totally full, probably all of the wire will be in use.

Personally I'd be OK with parking there without wire. I would be more worried about porkies chewing on your car at remote trailheads than at the Bugs. People wrap their cars at the Bugs because they can (wire is there) not because porcupine chewing is rampant there nowadays.

There are just as many porcupines in the West Kootenays but you never see anyone wrap their car at the Gimli trailhead for instance.

Edited by G-spotter

My partner and I said the same thing in the Bugs parking lot.

"Chicken wire? We don' need no steenkin' chicken wire."

That night there were two porcupines under the car, chewing away. We were sleeping right next to the car, too.

Just one data point, of course...or two, rather.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

another data point.

we came back from a trip in the bugs and the little bastards broke through our fencing defenses and did some snacking underneath. lots of porc needles around but the car ran fine. Luckily they didn't chew on anything important.

put the fencing up and be anal about the sturdiness of it.

Porcupines tend to stand their ground (why wouldn't they?). We had a helluva time getting them out from under our car. I was even charged by one on Carne Mt. Fortunately for my slow ass, its flank speed was like, a mile an hour. At first I stood my ground, but found my self backing away. It wasn't exactly rocket science making that decision. All the while the thing was making these weird nasal whining sounds. Strange critters.

The Bugs rangers leave plywood out for them as a peace offering. They love that glue.