Felt like I was in Fight Club...

akhalteke

Fine, so this mayor was an idiot. But that's not representative, since most of us aren't mayors. It's sad that you don't think it's a big deal, though. If McDonalds announced that they gave 8 million to the KKK, wouldn't you encourage everyone you know to put them out of business? Would you tell everyone to just STFU and respect their opinion?

Reread what I wrote - you don't have to respect the opinion. Just don't be a total asswipe in conveying yours.

I'm sorry Akhalteke got punched in the face, but was it wise to walk up to an irate protestor and call him a bigot to his face? How does that help anything?

How does attacking all Christians (or at least all Evangelicals) in the most mocking, snide, assinine terms advance any argument? Doesn't that turn off some folks to your tactics if not your position?

L8R dude. Gotta pack!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're probably right, it's much better to treat bigots and racists and KKK members like they're "reasonable people" and engage them in rational discussion, since they're all obviously so rational to begin with. After all, you're only arguing with the bible, what could go wrong???

Don't forget a TR!

I think you're probably right, it's much better to treat bigots and racists and KKK members like they're "reasonable people"

A big part of where you fall short with me is equating all those who oppose gay marriage as "bigots and racists and KKK members". That just about ends where you and I can progress in this discussion.

I think you're probably right, it's much better to treat bigots and racists and KKK members like they're "reasonable people"

A big part of where you fall short with me is equating all those who oppose gay marriage as "bigots and racists and KKK members". That just about ends where you and I can progress in this discussion.

Yeah, I can see where that would be a sticking point. To me, opposing gay marriage is exactly on par with racist Jim Crow laws and sexist corporate policy, etc.

Probably not quite on par with KKK (i.e. killing people) but it's the same neck of the woods.

I'm totally OK with people not LIKING the idea of gay marriage, btw (i'm personally against ALL marriage) -- but outlawing it because you don't like it? That makes you a huge bigot, and selfish, too. And worthy of the same scorn and derision I would heap on a sexist or racist. It's exactly the same in my book.

Have a nice trip! Watch out for loose rocks, I got hit in the leg with a softball sized rock a few years ago on Torment. Really ruined my day!

I'm sorry Akhalteke got punched in the face, but was it wise to walk up to an irate protestor and call him a bigot to his face? How does that help anything?

I get hit in the face alot. My wife is a hothead southerner and I do BJJ and Krav Maga alot for work. I can handle myself; certainly against someone who is almost as physically repugnant due to inactivity as he is morally.

The interesting thing is, I don't care what it helped. If anything, I was the only one truly using my 1st amendment rights while he was simply trying to be a tyrant. He was the one who lost, both the moral edge he was trying to accomplish as well as the one of physical superiority.

$20 says he was chanting "shut up and sing!" a faw years back and now he is arguing for quite the opposite. Wherever you sit on the whole gay marriage thing, one has to admit that it is not freedom of speech or religious expression which are being tested, but rather how much callous rabble rousing will be tolerated by the bastardization of the 1st amendment.

One bigot found out the hard way. May they all meet similar fates....

FYI: Vigorously opposing a group's bigoted beliefs or not respecting them does not equate to hating its members. After all, a large portion of evangelicals are indoctrinated as children in a philosophy that levies eternal damnation for thinking - that is, doubting. This movement teaches that if one denies (which could easily be interpreted as even slightly doubting) the existing of the holy spirit is a mortal sin that can never be forgiven. It's a fear based way of life, and it produces some really dysfunctional behaviors and a broken tool box for fixing the real problems of a dynamic world.

My own brother is a friggin anti-semitic bigot. I guarantee you, we were not raised that way. I would not blame these things just on upbringing.

So let me get this straight, while in uniform, you walked up to some guy and insulted him and then got punched in the face and now you are surprised/upset about this?

Call me crazy, but if someone walks up to me and insults me I'm probably going to punch them in the face too. Would you walk up to a group of Black Panther's and call them bigots and racists too? I'm a big advocate of play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

So let me get this straight, while in uniform, you walked up to some guy and insulted him and then got punched in the face and now you are surprised/upset about this?

Call me crazy, but if someone walks up to me and insults me I'm probably going to punch them in the face too. Would you walk up to a group of Black Panther's and call them bigots and racists too? I'm a big advocate of play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

I didn't say I'm surprised. And yes I would walk up to Black Panthers and bait them; particularly those ones that were blocking polling a few years back.

I also think that Dru hit the nail on the head, so what have you won lately?

Dude trust me I have won some serious awards in the dumb shit catagory.

And yes, nerds need wedgies! Cool kids pick on nerds and bang the prom queen, in return nerds get awesome jobs and get to marry trophy wives while the former cool kids make minimum wage and divorce the now fat with 4 kids prom queen. It is the natural cycle of things, everyone knows that!