Felt like I was in Fight Club...

akhalteke

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feller's got a raght to his o-pinion.

Yes he does. Just like you've got the right to mock him. It doesn't make either one of you less of a zit.

Not sure what could make somebody any more of a zit than deciding that a certain percentage of our population doesn't deserve the same civil rights as the rest of us.

I'm not sure that mocking a racist is the same as actually BEING racist, for example.

Rob - I 100% do not agree with what he said. I guess I'm cranky today but I don't think mockery is an effective way to address it. Frankly, I'm not sure there is an effective way to address what I consider to be stupidity but it still isn't against the law to say something stupid if its your opinion.

Not sure what could make somebody any more of a zit than deciding that a certain percentage of our population doesn't deserve the same civil rights as the rest of us.

The status quo is being changed. That's usually a difficult thing to do, and kind of not the best tactic to just insult people that resist change (human nature).

The status quo is being changed. That's usually a difficult thing to do, and kind of not the best tactic to just insult people that resist change (human nature).

On the other hand, not all opinions deserve to be respected.

I think Pat makes some fair points. I don't see effective counters to those specifically from those who disagree.

Just a public "ignore" notice?

I think that's pretty weak.

JMHO of course, for what it's worth...

d

He has a long history of bullying and abuse. And any "points" he makes is usually littered with so much vitriol and insult to negate their value.

Frankly, his recent absence has made this place a hell of a lot more pleasant to be around.

Over and out on this subject.

I have never been the atheist apologist, but I find it pretty hard not to condemn some of these evangelical/ new borns with borderline hate crimes. They blithely cite 1st amendment rights as their rationale when it is blatantly clear that this is simply an excuse to practice bigotry and hatred out in the open without the stigma.

The fact that a guy was willing to deck a guy who had 4 inches and 40 lbs on him was testament to how angry someone else's love life can make these people. Because of this, I find it impossible to believe that this is simply a 1st amendment issue rather than one of hate.

Using the 1st amendment to spread hate makes these people on par with the KKK and waters down the meaning of the fight. I may not fall on the far side of the spectrum where I hate all Christians like some here, but I will say that the things I am witnessing are making me sick. I had a good long bike ride today and thought alot about what happened.

My instincts are to just beat that guy all to hell; but it seemed at the time that hitting that guy with the WWJD would hurt more than putting him in the hospital...but these people are so brainwashed and angry, it is hard to believe that what I said even sunk in to anyone but me and my co-workers.

Oh and something about unintended consequences:

All of these people are eating food that is insanely bad for them while trying to support Chick-Fil-A. May they all succumb to atherosclerosis, diabetes, MI, strokes and really bad fucking gas for all their troubles...

Does this seem eerily similar to the Dixie Chick controversy tnot too long ago? The same people were telling the 'Chicks to shut up and sing.

Perhaps it is time for Chick-Fil-A to just shut up and make me a fucking hamburger.

My instincts are to just beat that guy all to hell; but it seemed at the time that hitting that guy with the WWJD would hurt more than putting him in the hospital...but these people are so brainwashed and angry, it is hard to believe that what I said even sunk in to anyone but me and my co-workers.

A few things I read recently that came to mind.

In the same way a man can be chained to an oak tree, a mind can be chained to an assumption, a religion, or any idea. But the idea, like the tree, should not be blamed. It is inanimate and is good or bad only in how it is used. Instead it’s the chain that must be questioned, and the motivations of the people using them. Each mind is unique for its infinite ideas and can be used to think about anything in a thousand ways. Any act that confines a mind to a singular way of thinking cannot be good. And yet all communities, from families, to schools, to gangs, have ideas members are expected to adopt without question. This doesn’t make them evil, but it doesn’t make them liberators either.

Wisdom demands two questions: Why do we believe what we believe? How do we know what we know?

Berkun, Scott (2011-10-21). Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds (Kindle Locations 155-156)

Clay explained it in a way that I’ve never heard before and I’ll never forget again. Paraphrased slightly, he said: “Questions are places in your mind where answers fit. If you haven’t asked the question, the answer has nowhere to go. It hits your mind and bounces right off. You have to ask the question – you have to want to know – in order to open up the space for the answer to fit.”

http://37signals.com/svn/posts/3225-what-are-questions

Perhaps it is time for Chick-Fil-A to just shut up and make me a fucking hamburger.

Perhaps it is time for people who don't like what organizations Chick-Fil-A supports to STFU and just don't buy their shitty food.

I'm pretty sure that is what they're doing, isn't that what boycott means?

Or are you saying they should quietly boycott, you know, so they don't hurt anyone's feelings?

A mayor (a public, gov't offical, speaking in that role) announced he would not allow the company to open franchises in his area. Sounds like censorship at a whole new level to me, and well beyond a "boycott" by private citizens.

And the media exposure and obsession with this, the political attentions, are all over the top. Misdirection, as I said before.

You don't have to respect the opinion, but being an ass to those you disagree with/don't respect usually will not end well. Are you more interested in the goal or just telling everyone you disagree with that they are stupid/bigoted/whatever?

This sums up pretty well what I'm thinking. Mockery and antagonization don't represent anyone well. The extremists on both sides of the issue make it impossible for reasonable people to discuss an issue like this.

A mayor (a public, gov't offical, speaking in that role) announced he would not allow the company to open franchises in his area. Sounds like censorship at a whole new level to me, and well beyond a "boycott" by private citizens.

And the media exposure and obsession with this, the political attentions, are all over the top. Misdirection, as I said before.

Fine, so this mayor was an idiot. But that's not representative, since most of us aren't mayors. It's sad that you don't think it's a big deal, though. If McDonalds announced that they gave 8 million to the KKK, wouldn't you encourage everyone you know to put them out of business? Would you tell everyone to just STFU and respect their opinion?