• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
light

Clayton Beach/Larabee State Park

Does anyone know where to find out the routes and their ratings for bouldering at Clayton Beach/Larabee State Park, or is it pretty much you have to go with someone who knows the area?

Its fairly straight forward. there is a "guide" book some place for the area. if you find the sandy beach thats the best place to start, some of the other stuff has potentially hard falls.

its not a long hike, using the parking lot as a reference wander south close to the water you'll find the sandy beach, there is various problems along the way. usually lots of chalked up stuff, but i haven't been there in awhile

There is a 5.6-7 runout bolted slab at the bolt launch. Be prepared for a ground fall most of the pitch and lots of pine needles. A #1 camalot help reduce the runout between the low bolts. Walk off to the left.

There are some fun top ropes along the railroad tracks.

There is a 5.10x thin crack somewhere along the beach.

I've looked for the guidebook but not hard enough to find it but I know my way around the beach pretty well.

There are a handful of fun boulder problems in the v2-v3 range and a couple that I've been told are v5s. The otter cave has a v3 and a v5 and the mushroom cave has a v7 with big holds but all the moves are big. The most problems in one spot will be at the firepit with a couple of different traverse variations. Some of the problems are tide dependent so it helps to hit it at low tide. I was down there a lot after work last summer but not much this summer, send me a PM and I can show you around M/W/F after 5pm.

You're looking for A Rock Climber's Guide to Bellingham Rock! by Jason Henrie. The Outdoor Center at WWU used to have a reference-only copy.

I've got the guide book that chris is talking about. has 8 pages on larabee park. If there is no longer a copy at WWU OC, then drop me a PM and I will get you a photocopy.

For the record, there's also "Climber's Guide to Chuckanut Drive", also by Jason Henry, that has ~25 pages on Larrabee. I sent you a PM.