Headlamp - is the weight-savings really worth it?

burchey

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To intercept thread drift, I suggest picking the lamp of your choice, carry extra batteries, check it all before every trip, and not worry about the weight.

When you are doing an alpine start or are stranded in the outdoors at night, you will not be analyzing weight but appreciating the joy of dependable light.

Bulk and clutter ARE serious considerations, I prefer smaller lamps with a full lens to project a beam from a single superbright LED (as opposed to multiple LEDs that produce diffused light). With recharged batteries there is no need for spares.

Have found that the lighter and slimmer a lamp is, the less I notice it and the more it tends to stay put while I am active, especially on a helmet.

None of what you say is different from what I said. But I will still say is that having reliable light trumps weight. Every time.

Compare the weight and bulk of a camera with a choice of sardines over humus and one harness versus another or the weight of ropes or gear. Or your own weight.

Get over it. Go for function and not weight and deal with it.

I went spelunking a few times with a flashlight in my mouth. Anything you choose will be an upgraid.

Edited by matt_warfield

I went spelunking a few times with a flashlight in my mouth. Anything you choose will be an upgraid.

Hope you see the humor in that, in a cave with.....

Wasn't trying to flame, I have been using a tiny Mammut with a good lens and hyperbright LED, best of both worlds. Have found that a bulky and heavier lamp just gets in the way and can flop or fall off if I moved too much. Comfort!