Car break-ins at Index

boadman

Just a little heads up, a friend's car got broken into and cleaned out this weekend at the LTW parking lot. There were a ton of people there for the work party, and definitely a few non-climber shady characters. It's probably a good idea to leave your car empty, and your doors unlocked for a while.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just let the tweakers have their way. Crappy all around.

:tdown:

you can always take comfort in the fact that tweakers, like 'skeeters, are an unavoidable part of life, and that they too have a short season before shuffling off their mortal coils...

you can always take comfort in the fact that tweakers, like 'skeeters, are an unavoidable part of life, and that they too have a short season before shuffling off their mortal coils...

You can spray DEET to scare off 'skeeters, and you can swat them when they bite, and they will bite no more.

You can spray DEET to scare off 'skeeters, and you can swat them when they bite, and they will bite no more.

sure, and yet, if you spend an evening at hardin flat, you can put on all the deet you want, and swat all the 'skitters you wish, but if you don't sleep in a tent, you end up w/ welts all about you :)

I've always been nervous about leaving my car unlocked, even empty. I get the logic. And maybe the windows rolled down too. It just seems like it makes it too easy for anyone to hop in and sit down. I guess if it was a beater car I could do it.

Now obviously, lots of people leave stuff in the car that has no business being left out, like smart phones and computer bags.

But on a road trip, you have to have your camping gear in there. The best solution I've come up with is an armored box. One guy had an old Korean war ammo box chained to the car frame, in the back seat. I think it was Alan Kearney at Smith back in the '80s when he was shooting video. You would have needed serious bolt cutters and a torch.

I do something similar now on road trips for camera gear. It slows down the smash and grabbers.

But the best solution is a big ugly yellow screaming rubber chicken, right in the middle of the front seat. Don't know why it works, but I've never been ripped off. And keep yer hands off my chicken!

Instead of a plastic chicken I have three kids car seats plastered with stale cheerios that seem to do the trick. But the real solution is to keep valuables with you or completely out of sight.

My dad used to leave the doors unlocked on our old Honda. I don't think that works well in this day and age because car thieves, at least the urban variety, are all about opportunity. Get in, grab, and get out in under ten seconds.

Oh, and sorry to hear about your friend's loss.

Edited by Rad