1st gen VS 2nd BD Firslight Tent

DanielHarro

I have a 1st generation Firstlight tent (yellow) and have had some conflicting reports on the 2nd generation (Green) firstlight. So are they the same fabric? If not is the Green fabric lighter, more breathable? Mine is 6 years old and it has survived 4 trips into the Alaska range and is showing some use. Looking at other options. Any input would be great!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old (yellow) fabric is BD's "Epic" fabric. The new (wasabi green) is BD's "Nanoshield" fabric.

The newer nanoshield fabric is actually just slightly heavier (around +1 ounce for the whole tent) but is supposed to be a significantly more waterproof. Still not as waterproof as your average heavier tent but enough to keep you dry in most rainstorms.

You can find more information about the two by googling a bit.

I have the newer wasabi green firstlight. It does not breath well if everything is zipped up, but what tent does? I have the vestibule for it, and will open up the rear vent and usually sleep with the vestibule closed up and the main tent door wide open. A few times when it was really cold, I zipped the main door but left 6 inches or so open up top. I have maybe 8 nights in it now, 2 around 15 degrees, and the rest at 32 degrees or higher. Oh I have always slept two people in it, I haven't been out in it by myself yet.

The Nextel Epic fabric is an older technology; it's been around for awhile, and proved itself as a solid material for the right applications (i.e. when you want something almost-waterproof yet also "highly" breathable).

The new green fabric Black Diamond is using has performed well for me, and many others. I wish the floor in particular was more waterproof - a knee, foot, butt, or similar pressure will bring water through the fabric. It's as warm as you want it to be, and the condensation is more than manageable.

I'd agree with the other two opinions on breathability. It's hard to be scientific about it since there are so many variables involved. Breathability isn't great (just like any other single wall tent) but I've never found it to be a problem. Just open the vents a little if the weather allows it and you'll be fine.