Enchantment Loop

kevin trieu

Hi,

Wanted to dayhike the Enchantment area from Snow Creek TH to Stuart Lake TH but traveling solo and can't do the car shuttle. Looking to go up Snow Creek trail to the base of Dragontail Peak but hoping to find another way back to the car. Looking at the map, has anyone gone down from Prusik Pass -> Shield Lake -> Mesa Lake -> Tokette Lake -> Tokette Creek -> then back to Snow Creek trail?

Also looking for a trail partner to set up car shuttle. Done Mt. Stuart North Ridge two days ago and is taken by the beauty of the area. I usually think the Evolution Area along the JMT in the Sierra is the most beautiful of all alpine lakes but heard otherwise regarding the Enchantment basin so I have to see it for myself.

Thanks a bunch.

Kevin

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't mind off-trail traveling & bushwhacking but don't want to get into 5th class stuff by myself. is there somewhat of a used path on the route i've described above? i'll be starting early and getting out late so hitchhiking might not work. i guess i can stash overnight gear at one TH and wait for the next day to hitch a ride to the other.

Kevin,

First off, not an exact answer to your questions but here is what I've done. I've run the Enchment Lakes Loop RT in 6 hours and change. We started from Stuart Lake TH and had left a second car at Snow Lakes for the shutle. Doing the full loop is very worthwhile and you have a few options. If you are starting at Snow Lakes (more elevation gain) you could stash a mt bike at Stuart Lake TH before hand and ride downhill back to your car. Aslo, it should be super simple to hitch a ride from Stuart Lake TH back to Snow Lakes. Everone leaving from Stuart Lake TH will be driving past Snow Lakes anyway. If you start early you be able to catch a few pople leaving, the loop doesn't take that long if you go light. Have fun.

Bonus style points. We did Prusik car to car in a day from Snow Lakes once. A fellow I know a bit (flys for TAT, guides for AAI) left the trail head at the same time running up Icicle Creek road, soloed Backbone Ridge (or was it Serpentine Arete?) on Dragontail, soloed WR Prusik, soloed Outer Space and passed us on our way out just before the Snow Creek TH. That's some mountain running!

I have not done that particular loop, but I have been in and out most ways in the Enchantments. I may be mistaken, but did you mean Toketie creek instead of Tokette creek? I only ask because going down toketie sucks. It is all tree burn and nasty bushwhacking, think lots of white dead sharp tree branches that jab you in all places while climbing over thousands of logs. Instead, I would recommend going out temple canyon. It is a lot more pleasant and it drops you off at Nada lake. It has been a few years, but as I recall there is a primitive trail going through the canyon. You could also go out Hook Creek which is pleasant enough, but you would have to walk a couple of miles of road back to your car at the snow creek wall parking lot.

Edited by jordansahls

A fellow I know a bit (flys for TAT, guides for AAI) left the trail head at the same time running up Icicle Creek road, soloed Backbone Ridge (or was it Serpentine Arete?) on Dragontail, soloed WR Prusik, soloed Outer Space and passed us on our way out just before the Snow Creek TH. That's some mountain running!
I'm pretty sure I ran into him at Exit 32 one day. Overheard him saying he did that back when he was "in shape." (The story I heard was Serpentine Arete, fwiw.) He had the conversation with his belayer while he was floating up some 5.11 sport climb. Crazy stuff for sure.

OP: I'd just plan to score a ride or stash a mtn bike. Not terrible difficult to do either of those and beats getting lost on a climbers trail which may or may not be the one you're looking for. If it's a weekend, the chances of catching a ride have to be pretty good.

Edited by skibum14

I've been up and down both Toketie creek and Temple creek (lived in Leavenworth since 1980) and both are fun trips. Both require some alpine smarts navigation skills, but they are worth the work - once north of Prusik Pass, you're likely to have the place to yourself. I would NOT recommend these routes to anyone with less than "journeyman" level skills with off-trail alpine travel. The terrain is complex, if not particularly technical, easy to get cliffed. On the other hand, it is also staggeringly beautiful, private, and the trout fishing is superb. For your first time through, I'd go out exactly the route you propose. Yes, the drop from Toketie Lake down to Snow Creek is less than pleasant, but it's relatively short, and the Toketie exit is, in my opinion, somewhat more straightforward routefinding than the Temple canyon exit.

A fellow I know a bit (flys for TAT, guides for AAI) left the trail head at the same time running up Icicle Creek road, soloed Backbone Ridge (or was it Serpentine Arete?) on Dragontail, soloed WR Prusik, soloed Outer Space and passed us on our way out just before the Snow Creek TH. That's some mountain running!
I'm pretty sure I ran into him at Exit 32 one day. Overheard him saying he did that back when he was "in shape." (The story I heard was Serpentine Arete, fwiw.) He had the conversation with his belayer while he was floating up some 5.11 sport climb. Crazy stuff for sure.

Here's the story.