Need help

anikoy

Hi,

Friend of mine asked me to post this message here.

=================================================

Ben Horne and his climbing partner are missing in Peru. If some of my South American friends know how to arrange a plane in Peru, please help! Ben and his parents helped us a lot at WS100, and he is a just such a great guy and an athlete. Info from Konstantin Stoletov:

My friend, Ben, and his friend Gil, went to attempt a first ascent on

the south face of Palcaraju Oeste in Peru and have been missing for over 5 days now.

A search team found Ben and Gil's tent, followed tracks up the glacier to the base of the route (a 800 m face of steep snow and ice), and spotted tracks on the descent ridge at about 5,800 m. That's all they know so far.

Friday morning, they plan to take a satellite image of the 5800m mark (at Lat: 9°22'19.71"S; Long: 77°23'4.67"W), and to have a group on foot climb the ridge to the 5,800m mark. (It may be too dangerous to proceed, since the ridge does have a section of very broken glacier.)

They desperately need to do a flyover of the area ASAP, but haven't been able to find a plane, despite major efforts to do so. If you know anyone in Peru who could lend or rent a plane, please contact Liora (202) 558-8346;lioradanan@gmail.com

Please forward this message. You may know someone who can help.

============================================================

We appreciate you for any help.

Thank you.

Nikolay.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The newest update on my friend Ben Horne as of Friday 920a PDT, from Liora, his fiancee: securing an aircraft remains an issue, but anyone with direct contacts with someone in the Peruvian military who owns a plane, please let me know and I'll forward your message to Lora (who will forward the message to the search team in Peru).

> At this point:

> We have a good lead on a private plane for tomorrow. Still happy to take suggestions of private planes people have access to -- you'd be amazed how many Peruvian pilots our network knows! We want someone out there today if possible.

> The US embassy in Lima is trying to get the Peruvian national guard to launch their planes. First the team on the ground has to report in from the mountain -- should happen in the next hour.

> Satellite imagery is in and they are analyzing it.

> Ben's network of elite climbers is hard at work identifying Peru-based climbers to back up the on-the-ground efforts. Unfortunately it sounds like the team there now can't go up until tomorrow morning.

> At this point, I literally cannot keep up with all of the leads coming in. If you have a very promising contact -- like a Peruvian military officer who owns a plane -- call me and I will give you the number of the guy coordinating on the ground. Anyone who has a good reason to call the embassy, it's 51-1-618-2000. It's possible the 1 before the 6 is dropped but I dont think so.

>

> Liora

> 202-558-8346