Petzl Grigri

grandpa

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grigri 2 works with a smaller diameter rope.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/belay-devices-0/grigri

Don't buy any old stuff as there was a recall when the items first came out in 2011.

Also, http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Belay-Device-Reviews/Petzl-GriGri-2

If you have the original GriGri, do you need to upgrade to the GriGri 2? If you do a lot of leading on 8.9-9.9mm ropes or just want the latest and greatest gear, get the GriGri 2. If you climb on 10mm or thicker ropes, you can probably hold off on the upgrade until your GriGri wears out. If you mainly toprope in the gym, the original GriGri is just fine. Both devices handle about the same but the GriGri 2 is lighter, less bulky, and better for thin ropes.

Maybe ACK can speak to this, but I've found the gg2 doesn't provide enough friction! This is using a 10.5 rope, lowering a 175 dude at a pretty slow speed. I don't remember having this problem with the original.

I took a look at the original and 2nd version of the grigi. It looks like the newer one design for smaller diameter ropes has a larger caming mechanism with wider radius and smaller grove for smaller ropes. I'm guest guessing here, so it's only speculation, but the design could be to allow for a more dynamic belay for smaller ropes (more bungee effect) to put less force on the rope during a lead fall.

I tip the scales about 210 and my 100 lb daughter has belayed me with both grigris, the older one for a 11 mil static top rope line, and the smaller one for my lead rope. Both devices work well for a high weight differential and for newer or younger climbers who might otherwise panic and let go or get their fingers in a regular belay device. Of course, after the first belay I started strapping her into something that keeps her on the ground .... going up!

• 1 month later...
Maybe ACK can speak to this, but I've found the gg2 doesn't provide enough friction! This is using a 10.5 rope, lowering a 175 dude at a pretty slow speed. I don't remember having this problem with the original.

I've had similar thoughts, I like my original grigri better than the grigri2. I like the way it feeds and handles better, plus the size fits in my hands better.

Also: if you buy a used one just make sure it has the green dot on the bottom (opposite the rope holes), meaning it's been inspected/repaired. Also the recall issue was non critical providing you maintain good belay form (you should) while using the device.

Another thing I've noticed is that the 2's seem to get a wear groove along where the rope passes before entering the device while lowering and I havent noticed near as extreme wear on my old one despite having many many pitches run through it.