[TR] Mt. Rainier - Emmons-Winthrop 7/22/2012

Water

Trip: Mt. Rainier - Emmons-Winthrop

Date: 7/22/2012

Trip Report:

Not a terribly different rehash of the report posted two weeks ago. Having had plans to do this since early June and skunked by weather on multiple weekends and schedule conflicts, we finally went for it before the summer slipped by. On friday the forecast went from sunny and freezing level at 13k to cloudy and showers freezing level 9k.

on the approach..

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04278.jpg

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04282.jpg

Turned out to have great weather other than some pretty ferocious wind from about 12,500 up. Not so bad going into it other than the extra work. Coming down it was kicking up ice pellets that really stung the back of the legs.

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04303.jpg

Lots of traffic on Saturday when we got to Schurman but by Sunday it cleared out and perhaps only 5 or so teams really went for a summit bid out of camp.

Left camp around 2:50? summit around 9am? back at camp around 2pm? approximate rememberings. Laid down in the tent for a bit and relaxed, then packed up and headed down into and under the cloud deck to get drizzled on from camp curtis onward.

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04346.jpg

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04368.jpg

After a few years climbing this was for the most part my first significant roped up glacial travel experience, having mostly stuck with rock or snow routes that didn't require ropes. Had a great time of it. Really glad to finally get up a new mountain/route/views. Gym work over the last few months and then being diligent with pace on the way up and I was performing way above my self-expectations.

Thought that this has got to be one of the most scenic and complete climbs I've ever done as far as how it felt. I am so glad we went for Emmons having gone up to Muir and a bit beyond from Paradise on prior occasions. There was something magic about the range of environs from summit to car, the smells of being in a cloud, getting back to the subalpine flowers, all misted nicely, with fleeting glimpses of the hillsides and basically no-one around, smelling the forest, the open sections, the dark cedar groves, all the little crystal clear creeks, then the camp fires of the white river camp ground. Very complete feeling, full circle type experience. Makes me realize just how jarring my usual Hood forays are with the ski lifts, lights, cars, and beep beep beep snowcats backing up, etc.

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04381.jpg

RainierEmmonsWinthrop-04388.jpg

Gear Notes:

crevasse rescue gear

30m rope

maximum sun protection

hydrate till it hurts

just the tent fly + footprint was nice

make sure to ask the climbing rangers how the weather will be 'tomorrow'. I'm pretty sure its their favorite question

Approach Notes:

didn't rope up on the way to schurman but it seems prudent. We did on the way back until we got to around camp curtis since we were all setup for it.

glissade on the interglacier on the way down.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...