• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bstach

Sleeping Bags for Kids

I am looking for a bag for my 5 year old for camping in the alpine in the NW Spring thru fall. Looking for recommendations. I am thinking a 10 to 20 degree bag, synthetic fill. Surprisingly, MEC has shitty selection (what a bunch of hosers). REI has the Kindercone, Nodder and Wolverine etc (spare me the Nodder jokes). Anyone use any of those with their kids? Any other recommendations?

My youngest has a LaFuma Trek Jr.; rated to 30. Has worked well for him down about 30. Not a 10-20 deg. bag, but pretty good and was not very expensive, like well under $100. You might check 'em out.

My kids used the Kindercones for two years for a total of about 7 nights late spring into fall. They were warm and comfortable every night they spent in them.

I just bought a North Face Aleutian Youth. A bit warmer and lighter than the Kindercone and on sale at my local outdoor store (Atmosphere aka Coast Mountain Sports). My son is pretty excited to hit the trail now.

I am a bit surprised to hear some of you use down bags with your kids in the NW. I have a hard time being vigilant enough to keep my own down bag dry, so I have low expectations that a five year old would be up to it, so I only considered synthetic bags.

Buy a full size bag that the kid can grow with. Buy the best quality bag you can afford. Buy down. At least 15 degree bag. 0 is better. Your gonna be in a tent with the kids so you can uncover and in the spring and fall they'll be warm enough that they won't pee in the bag. When kids get very chilled they pee.

I am a bit surprised to hear some of you use down bags with your kids in the NW. I have a hard time being vigilant enough to keep my own down bag dry, so I have low expectations that a five year old would be up to it, so I only considered synthetic bags.

+1, in fact (for better or worse) the outdoor leadership program my son attends won't even let the kids bring down bags

Edited by rob