TR - Little Naches River drainage

sobo

OK, after the fiasco at Umptanum, we got some grub and headed into the Little Naches, up Hiway 410 from Cliffdell. About 3/4-mile past Horsetail Falls, across the river, is a large cliff with three distinct falls that were formed right to the water level. We climbed the center group (WI-3+/4). We had to bail near the top because of darkness, and needed two raps to get back to teh gear. Really awesome ice, longish route (200+ feet) for around here, and no crowds. Could be because of the crux river crossing. We had Sorels to cross over, with extra socks, and the benefit of daylight. The return crossing was far from simple, or dry (insert much expletives here).

This group of climbs can be found on Forest Road 19, about 1.5 miles in from Hiway 410, just a couple of miles past the little burg of Cliffdell. They seem to take a long time to form, but once in, stay around awhile, unlike the other ice along the road(south-facing) on the way in. Be prepared for high, cold, swift water, not unlike the Drury approach. A pair of hip waders or a couple of plastic garbage bags duct-taped around your legs would serve to stave off the cold misery of the approach and return. When the river freezes over more, an aluminum extension ladder laid across the flows works really well. grin.gif" border="0

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi AK,Last time I did it (2000/2001 season) the center was running full bore, and we climbed "scruffy" ice on both the left and right sides of the flow, with the right side being better ice. Spray didn't seem to be too big of an issue. Got lots of drytooling practice on the left side. Important to add that we had set up a TR.

PS: Jason has pimped me by PM for photos and add'l info for "the guide". I'll be sending him the requested info soon. I'm attepmting to set up another trip this weekend, if it's still in (bummed a pair of chest waders from a fishing fanatic here at work smile.gif" border="0 ). Will bring along a camera as well. Wish us luck.

PPS: Sorry about the long trips over for nothing, Dood. frown.gif" border="0 What did you do with all the spare time? If you would have driven up the road another 3/4 mile, you would've seen these flows we're talking about across the river.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: sobo ]