Lillooet - Mar09-10

Gilles

Lots of ice in Lillooet!

We climbed:- Red Wall Wanderer: in, excellent to the top of the pillar, more marginal (rotten/sun baked) higher up- Oregon Jack: in, probably WI4. Thin sections with water views wink.gif" border="0 , very brittle ice.

We saw:- Shannon Falls: lots of white ice - Soo Bluffs: at least one line of white ice- Carlsberg: in, reasonably fat- Tres Brule: first pitch in, top gone- Honeyman: completely in!- Marble: everything looked very good from the road- Crucibles: looks in from the road- lots of ice in the Fraser canyon... on the wrong side of the river- 2 lines beside Bridal Veil falls

We didn't see:- too many other climbers, 1 car at Rambles, nobody at Oregon, no cars at Marble or Carlsberg. What's wrong?Gilles & John

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Mer:
You guys think the ice will last for another couple of weeks in Lilooet?

I don't know, but the forecast from environment canada isn't so great:

Fraser Canyon: Issued 4:00 PM pst Monday 11 March 2002Tonight.. Mainly cloudy with showers changing to flurries overnight. Wind south 25 km/h. Low plus one. Tuesday.. Mainly cloudy with few morning flurries changing to a few showers in the afternoon. Wind south 30 km/h. High 7. Wednesday.. Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low minus one. High 7. Thursday.. Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers. Low minus 2. High 6. Friday.. Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries or showers. Low minus 3. High 4. Normals for the period.. Low minus 2. High 9.

The only thing I'd add is that the approach to Red Wall Wanderer was lots of fun with much post holing into tree wells and through hidden snow covered branches.

.. and that Gilles is a climbing machine who gladly waited forever while I hacked my way up (in quite poor style) my first WI5.

-john

peder ourom and friends climbed a 4 pitch WI 6 on super thin ice up the bluffs across the creek from sunblessed. you heard it here first.

lots of people did the 9-pitch 3+ barley/wyvill route aka "Scottish Tale" on the same bluff. dont all rush up there now or anything.