[TR] Ruth Mountain - Ruth Glacier 7/14/2012

Le Piston

Trip: Ruth Mountain - Ruth Glacier

Date: 7/14/2012

Trip Report:

I had wanted to do Ruth for a long time, so with a rare weekend free and good weather I decided it was finally time. My original plan was to camp at Hannegan Pass and climb Ruth on Saturday, then head over to Copper Ridge Sunday. We all know how plans change. The approach trail is in pretty good shape (thanks to a WTA work crew also there for the weekend) except for a couple minor blowdowns and a dicey waterfall crossing. IMG_00221.JPG There is still a lot of snow up in the hills, but I was able to find one of the few flat bare patches on which to sleep.IMG_00891.JPG After a quick lunch I headed up and around Point 5963 traversing on perfect snow (no crampons needed). The views on the way to Ruth of Redoubt, Challenger and Whatcom were pretty nice.IMG_00523.JPG But I mostly wanted an upclose view of the Nooksack Cirque. I could see Shuksan through a gap...a teaser.IMG_00415.JPG I headed up the gentle slopes of the Ruth Glacier, visions of great panoramic views in my head, when seemingly out of nowhere the clouds boiled up and I was totally socked in with visibility about 20 feet. I waited, hoping it would pass, but it didn't. Not wanting to wander alone I followed my tracks all the way back to camp. I got up at 4:00 a.m. the next morning and headed back up in marginal weather. I waited on the summit for the weather to clear and improved the rock wall on one of the bivy sites...But the clouds hovered over Shuksan and Nooksack cirque.IMG_01492.JPG As I headed down, a big thunderhead came up over Ruth.Panorama_135.JPG I packed up and got back to my car just before it started to rain.Panorama_133.JPG

Gear Notes:

Ice axe and trekking poles. Snow conditions required no crampons. I didn't see any crevasses on the route

Approach Notes:

Snow pretty much continuous after Hannegan Pass, but a pretty good boot-path to follow.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic