Small Camalot C4s any good?

What does everyone think of the 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 C4 camalots? I know camalots are heavier but have greater range etc etc, but do these same advantages/disadvantages play out in the smaller sizes?

I currently only have BD double axle cams (older camalots) in size #1 and #2, my other cams down to 1" are DMM quad cams.

Should I spring for some smaller C4s or are they crap and I should spend nearly twice as much on the ever popular Aliens?

What says the hive?

Off_Route

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 0.4 is pretty good since it has a decent range, however it's in the small enough realm where you may want a bit more flexibility.

The 0.5 C4 is an invaluable size and cannot be replaced adequately with similar microcams to date.

some people like the C3's because of the narrow head design. some people don't like the because they are stiff.

some people like mastercams because they are well made solid and are flexible. some people don't like them because they have a smaller expansion range and can get more easily stuck

some people like the new Fixe aliens because they have a pretty good range (especially the green - red), softer aluminum, and are very flexible. there aren't many complaints (the smaller blue and black may or may not be as good as the mastercam or c3)

my idea of a perfect rack is 000, 00 C3's, blue and black alien, 2 green - yellow alien, one red alien, one 0.4 C4, and the rest 0.5 camalot and above.

some folks like other cams than C4s, and as long as you're quick at placing gear, your cam fits where you need it, it holds a fall, etc... it really comes down to personal taste. but it's a lot of fun to flame people on the intweb, mocking their taste in cams.

Edited by layton

the 0.4 is pretty good since it has a decent range, however it's in the small enough realm where you may want a bit more flexibility.

The 0.5 C4 is an invaluable size and cannot be replaced adequately with similar microcams to date.

Thanks for the write up.

Why is it that flexability is a good thing in the smallest cams? Seems like a floppy cam might be hard to place and if you've got a runner on it, it won't walk or come out from rope drag....

What you you think of the 0.3? Not good?

Off_Route

I love C4's, all the way down to the smallest size; I don't like the C3's as much. The C3's seem to walk easily and get stuck. My choice would be C4's and master cams for the smallest sizes. Also take a look at Wild Country Helium Friends, placed a partner's WC Friend the other, nice very light cam.

.3 and .4 C4s will work fine but like some others have said I prefer other cams for that size. I love my master cams, they just feel super solid when placed. I have no complaints about them at all. They can get stuck or walk a little, but I have never lost one. I have not used aliens so I cannot compare, but I do like them better than C3s. I don't think that I would buy the largest two sizes #5 #6 of master cam again. Those are similar to C4 .5-1 in size and they don't have the expansion range.

Eric

.3 and .4 C4s will work fine but like some others have said I prefer other cams for that size. I love my master cams, they just feel super solid when placed.

Eric

I love my Master Cams too but got rid of the two biggest ones because I hate the way the cable folds/bends when trying to pull the trigger. It looks like the new BD similar cams have a bushing around the cable to prevent that. I'm looking forward to seeing these in action.