TR: Lake Julius ice

jstreet

Two of us cc.com'ers -- myself and sayjay -- headed out to try climbing the Lake Julius ice that sayjay had sited a few weeks earlier (and reported about on CC). We did two routes and there are one or two others worth doing that we didn't get to. Below are a few pics of the climbs we did. A full trip report and photo collection is viewable at...

Lake Julius Ice - March 2nd, 2002

Cheers,Jeff & Sarah

Img_1745.jpg

Img_1749b.jpg

Img_1800.jpg

Img_1768b.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:
Another awesome job Jstreet! You Ropegun you!!
grin.gif" border="0

Hey Thanks vegetablebelay! I'm hatching some new ice climbing plans right now... any interest in joining us... I'd love to climb with you again...

Ski in is ~9mi. on a logging road. Easy skiing, but it is a bit of a slog -- I've done it and prefer to shell out the bucks and use my time in the high country. Part of the trip up (~half) can be done on a narrow x-c trail and that shortens things a bit but not a lot.

So depending on how fat your wallet is you can decide if you'd rather save the $$ or the time... W/ the ride in the ice can be climbed as a day trip-

If you only shuttle *in* it's $30/person. Ski out is downhill except ~1/2 mi. and is a fast trip.

quote:

Originally posted by slothrop:
Awesome photos! Looks like you all had a fine time. Is the approach reasonable to do just with skis? The price for the snowmobile shuttle seems a little steep ($45 each!).

Hey Thanks slothrop! We did enjoy it. Yes, we skied from high camp to the ice... it's a couple of miles... basically just a traverse... maybe 500 feet gain and loss on the approach. Ya, $45 dollars is a bit steep but the way I look at is that it's cheap considering the time and effort it would to walk/ski the 12 miles to high camp... more time in the high country.