shitty gear appreciation thread

layton

what are some pieces of "tosser" gear surprised you and wound up being true champs?

My Golden Eagle Thinsulate Mechanics gloves are amazing ice climbers

My North Face Basecamp flip flops are approaching machines after years of use

Wal-Mart "flick-lock" poles still kicking after two years of skiing and approaching

REI 18 Flash Pack is my go-to leader's pack

Coleman LED lantern outsurvived the expensive Black Diamond piece of crap

And a special shout out goes to my Wilderness Experience canvas offwidth shirt for providing me with 16 years of desert use

i'm sure there's more, but those come to mind!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not shitty but the cheap and available everywhere Sierra Designs anorak. I put that piece of outerwear through some serious useage. Used as a "softshell" for many years of alpine guiding and even wore it on summit day on denali. best value for $30.

Second the NF flip flops. Mine still doing well unexpectedly while my teva flip flops suck. (Sole is too thin to prevent stones from puncturing and getting stuck.)

I love my small dishwasher detergent box (from Costco) for my back country pantry. It won't keep the bears out of your food, but you can keep the small critters & snafflehounds at bay, as well and not crush you cookies en-route. It fits perfectly in my pack and has a handle if I want to hang it out of bears reach.