Cancel My Subscription

pope

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Yeah, Famous Boulder Problems like the Stanley Headwall

Ok, I admit, there is some cool stuff... it's just depressing to get a new issue, and at least half of it is devoted to bouldering, or who won sport climbing competitions, etc.... That's just the way it's seemed with the past couple of issues.

But I guess that way they can sell more copies and support themselves or something.

[This message has been edited by philfort (edited 09-13-2001).]

They are covering what people send them. I consider myself prety old school but you can't deny there is a lot of enthusiasm in the climbing community at large right now for bouldering. you see it in all the mags. should they ignore it? I would hope if alpine cranking was super hot they would cover it to the same degree.

For a bunch of guys who spray so much and talk so much crap about these mags you all seem to know exactly what the most current issues have in them. If they were really as bad as you say they are you wouldn't even give them a second look. When was the last time you just casually browsed through a better housekeeping.

The truth is for the most part climbing is about the experience for most of us. That being so, we still compare ourselves to the rest of the world. Those mags with 120lb skeletor types pulling wicked problems can be disconcerting or motivational depending on how you look at it. In my experience most sport related magazines are created for the novice to the sport and/or the armchair athlete. To us they may be crap but to a 12 yr old boy they may be really interesting. I know when I was getting into climbing I poured through those things and they helped me dream about becoming a great climber. Anyway that's my two cents-