Tieton Tent Theft

PDXch1

I'm not sure where to post this and I rarely sign on so please move as needed...

A warning to Tieton areas climbers

This past weekend while climbing Sunday July 8th my fiancee's tent was stolen from our route 12 campsite. The tent was not in sight of the road and was clearly "not left behind" as we left our sleeping pads and a few clothes in the tent. Thankfully we had taken our nice sleeping bags with us.

Please be careful leaving personal gear unattended as apparently Tieton is now home to a thief.

The tent was an older, blue REI tunnel style tent with new, light weight, red tent stakes and a green "Z-rest" pad. Any information regarding this incident would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer! Consider that your official Yakima welcome.

Our car was broken into last year while climbing at the Bend, right under our noses.

That's good to know. I have seen glass at the Bend and Royal Columns but always figured the thieves wouldn't be bold enough to steal while you were right there.

I thought Tieton was safer than this. I hope someone is caught soon as it really ruins the area knowing some jerk is out there praying on others like this.

I've never had a problem in many years of climbing in the Tieton. However, about 20 years ago at the Cave, a friend of mine who was in the middle of cleaning a new route watched helplessly as a couple of guys busted out his truck window and ripped off his drill. Later, another friend and I named a route "Mark's Window" in honor of the glass shards left behind.

Probably five or six years ago our neighbor's tent got sotlen, a brand new Bibler he was taking up to Alaska. Ever since then I've used a POS tent cragging and taken anything valuable like a sleeping bag with me.

Hope karma comes down on the theif