• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No experience with it myself but here are some reviews:

Amazon reviews

Campmor reviews

Trailspace review

Looks interesting. REI has one called the minimalist that looks similar though it has a face mesh and no ability to totally seal it off like the baffin.

REI minimalist bivy

Another idea if you don't mind the extra weight is to get a new/surplus or used US-ARMY 3-layer Gore-Tex bivy. They're about 2lbs (maybe more) if I recall correctly but they can be had new on ebay cheap and they are REAL Gore-Tex. Search for "ECWS bivy" and you'll find them on Ebay for $50 shipped. They do need to be seam sealed though.

ECWS bivy

My question about the Sierra bag is "Is it waterproof, and is it breathable." Because if it isn't both, it's not much good. If you get one, post a review. It looks promising, especially for the weight.

Off_Route

I have seen the rei minimalist bivy and it seems to be pretty much the same thing except it costs more and lacks a face cover (probably not a huge deal). The army surplus bivys are intriguing, but kind of bulky. I have found directions for re-sewing them to be a better fit, which I may try.