[TR] mount hood - upper NNE Face 7/5/2012

ed lipscomb

Trip: mount hood - upper NNE Face

Date: 7/5/2012

Trip Report:

started at Tilly Jane Trail head. Rested about three hours at 8000 ft. Began climb a little after 1:00 a.m. at start of Cooper Spur route. Soon after start,at the large out cropping r0ck on the right at 9000 ft, started traversing to the right across the lower slope in the direction of the North Face. After crossing the NNE Spur,began climbing up the large snow field hoping there wouldn't be trouble exiting the top. No trouble-several opening wide with smooth hard snow. Joined the Cooper Spur route here and followed it to the top. Snow was hard frozen. I wished there were some steps but no such luck. I was feeling really tired at the summit(the long traverse at the start really seemed to add to the fatigue). I felt a lot more worried than usual starting down the Cooper Spur route. I had reached the summit at exactly sunrise but going down the sun seemed to be brightening and warming up quickly. There was a 3in. soft snow layer on top of the frozen snow below and getting worse so I had to try to move down faster than I felt safe doing. I ended up getting about as tired as I've ever been and the worry was mounting. What a relief when it was finally over. Then just collect my gear left at 8000 ft and head back down the trail. My best climb. HURT.

Gear Notes:

2 ice tools

Approach Notes:

One shouldn't disparage nature, but, the Tilly Jane trail- how many ways can I count

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic