Mountain recommendations for newbies

thdcdiver

Just summited St. Helens on the 4th. Wondering what would be a good mountain to try next and possibly when? I have mostly hiking experience, but have taken a mountaineering class, so I feel fairly comfortable with the basic uses of crampons and an ice axe, especially if the weather is right. I am in fairly decent shape, but I am a girl, and fairly short, so not sure if that plays a factor or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Anyways just looking for thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tooth, 3 pitches of 5.6 to a summit

The Beckey Route on Liberty Bell, 3 pitches of 5.6 to a summit.

West ridge of Forbidden, probably a snow gulley to the ridge this time of year, then mostly scrambling and a few moves of 5.6

You would need a harness and rock shoes, but there's usually people willing to take beginners on these, including myself.

In Oregon:

South Sister

Middle Sister

In Washington:

Mt. Daniels via the Daniels Glacier

Colchuck Peak via the Colchuck Glacier

Both have easy, on-trail approaches, feature snow travel, and have great camping spots. Neither have crevasse issues to deal with typically.

Edited by kurthicks

The North Sister would be a big step up in terms of difficulty and danger. On the standard route, the "terrible traverse" is very exposed on steep snow, and there is some fairly real rock scrambling after that. The climb to the summit from the north is not easy either.

The Middle Sister from the south has a lot of climbing over large boulders, and from the north it has just one short steep bit of snow.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm thinking I will try Adams next hopefully near the end of July maybe early August. I have read that South Sister is nice towards the end of the summer and early fall, so I may try that one then.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions - I have a great working list now :)