Banks Lake

Matt_Fetcho

Went to Banks lake on Sunday hoping the week with temperature in the teens would produce something climbable. Nothing is in good. The top pitch on Zenith looks great as well as a couple of the other routes nearby that I'm not familiar with. The devil's punch bowl is really thin like most of the single pitch climbs up the road. We did climb however, on the column that sits up away from the road. The lower section was really wet, but the second half was good and solid. A few more days of 40deg and warm nights will bring this season to a close at banks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can access the top pitch of Zenith from the right via an entablature ledge and then rappelling from the top of the route. This pitch forms some of the best ice I have climbed on in Washington. Beware the ice hanging above. Last year My partner nearly got blasted off that pitch when an immense whistling-missle pulverized on impact 30 feet from me and avalanched on top of him half way up the pitch shocked.gif" border="0 .

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:
...an entablature ledge

What is an entablature ledge? I'm somewhat familiar with thte geology/physics of the basalt flows, but have never encountered this term. Could you explain?

Thanksdave brannon

quote:

Originally posted by max:
What is an entablature ledge? I'm somewhat familiar with thte geology/physics of the basalt flows, but have never encountered this term. Could you explain?

Thanksdave brannon

It's the upper part of a basalt flow.

staffa_l.jpg

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:
It's the upper part of a basalt flow.

Ok, this is start. It seems there must be something more about an entablature ledge than just being at the top of the stack. Is it the different structure of the rock? There must be a more technical definition. (I'm not trying to be a wise-cracker here. Just curious.)

dave brannon

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:

Izzat the light green or the dark green
confused.gif" border="0

Well, I'm color blind, so I don't see the green. The columnar stuff on the lower part of the formation is the colonnade and the upper stuff is the entablature.

quote:

Originally posted by max:

Ok, this is start. It seems there must be something more about an entablature ledge than just being at the top of the stack. Is it the different structure of the rock? There must be a more technical definition. (I'm not trying to be a wise-cracker here. Just curious.)

dave brannon

It is my understanding that the variation in cooling between the upper layer and the lower layer of a thick basalt flow provides the difference in structure. The lower part is called a colonnade and typically shows signs of columnar jointing due to shrinkage as it cooled from the bottom up. The upper part is the entablature and its hacked up structure is a result of cooling due to water seeping into the fractures at the top of the flow.

That is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

In the large basalt cliffs where multiple flows can be visualized, there is usually a broken up area where the top of a lower flow interfaces with the bottom of the next overlying flow. This is what I was referring to as "entablature" earlier. This structure where succeeding layers meet often forms a system of ledges or overhangs or both at once, often providiing access to upper tiers, especially when a talus slope reaches up to the ledge system.

Zenolith,R U HI? O jus dupid?