Thin Rap Cord

Rafael_H

I got this 70m 5 mil rap cord, either Mammut tech cord or something like that.

Tech data seems to be in favor as it is harder to saw through. But, I used it on a hike up Tooth yesterday and a casual 20 min scramble ended in 1+ hour rap down - the darn cord gets tangled, knotted, twisted like nobody's business.

In the past I always used a 7mm static rap cod and never had these problems - it is very supple - while this "tech cord" thing is very stiff, almost like copper wire. Soft cord piles nicely in one area while this stiff cord is all over the place. But then 5mm soft feels scary... Don't know why though :)

So, does anybody use such cord as a rap line, and it is my rope management, or I bought the wrong thing?

Thanks!!!

Edited by Rafael_H

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

for non uber-ultra light missions I use an 8mm static line, or an 8mm twin rope (can re-lead on it). worth the extra weight

for uber light missions or windy/highly knobby areas(redrocks!) I use the stiff as shit 6mm dynamic alpine pull cord that colin and mike shafer rave about. It packs, coils, pulls and carries like shit however. it does not like to get stuck, fly in the wind, or get knotted/twisted which imo are pros that outweight the cons.

i'm at the point where I'd rather leave gear, extend the anchor with some cord, and bring a single 70m rope than deal with goddamned double rope raps

Well, glad that they are at least somewhat problematic. They require more handling than the minimum attention a thick pliable rope normally gets. I did get a better hang by the end. Possibly easier with two or more people?

Interestingly, I was only using a single strand, just for rappelling (scrambled up to the top), and thought that it would have been easier in a double rope rap setup! My main complaint is how this cord sticks to itself when pulling through anchors.

Any info about the cord you are talking about - brand/name?

Thank you, Mike!