Alpine Rope

mzvarner

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered doubles? Look at Beal's Ice Line. I'm on my second set of those and love them. Climbing alpine with doubles has many advantages over a single that outweigh (pun intended) the weight penalty, at least in my book. Mammut also makes some excellent skinny doubles that are quite light.

if you own a set of doubles, and want to go ultralight, why not just fold one in half and climb shorter pitches? I've used this tactic a bunch - particularly on modest climbs where I may be simulclimbing a significant portion. I share your preference for bi-patterns,and I've wished I could find a bicolor skinnier than the joker - my solution has been to mark the rope middle by taking a dull needle and weaving contrasting color thread into the sheath for an inch or two. no worries about hang-ups as with tape marking, nor chemical reactions as with ink/paint, plus the mark will last as long as the sheath.