Skinning/skiing Kautz vs Emmons

ACK

What's the general opinion about skinning and skiing the Kautz vs the Emmons? I've climbed both, but haven't skied either. The obvious is the diff in elevation hiking from Paradise vs WRC.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely different routes on different sides of the mountain. For the Emmons you start lower and have a longer approach but it stays skiable a lot longer. You would need to hit the Kautz ice step pretty early in the season unless you want to rap or downclimb that part of the route. They're both pretty straight forward skis except for the ice step.

When is it too late to ski Emmons you think? A buddy and I have been trying to line up schedules and weather windows unsuccessfully for a month now- wondering when is too late. I imagine it's a pretty snow free approach to the interglacier by now, meaning hiking in or with skiboots. Then on the upper mountain when does the skiing get too hairy due to crevasses...?

It depends on seasonal snowpack. I've skied it in early August. All you can do is head up and make an on the spot call after seeing cracks in or near the ski line.

Hiking isn't too bad if you can start skiing at Starbow (Glacier Basin). The trail improvements make it better for walking since you don't have to spend as much time boulder hopping near the White River.