No power

glassgowkiss

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a total cost analysis for areas like Florida, New England or Buffalo NY, where we have yearly events (like hurricanes and huge snow storms), shutting down entire areas for weeks at the time. In October 2006 Buffalo was hit by early winter storm, and the city was basically shut down for a week. If you consider economic impact of shutting down production in most facilities for one or two week period, underground power lines would be paid for in no time at all.

wow way to be a dick...

ok smart guy u can read a table good for you but if you actually did the math, you'd know that from table 5 #12 thhn is .0133in2 area. and from art 358 (table 1 chapter nine in the back) 60% fill of emt is .182 in2. .182/.0133=13.68 but u have to round down to 13.

in article 358.22 Number of conductors (emt); it says number of conductors may not exceed % fill of table 1 chapter nine. so u can use up to the 60% fill. there would be some amperage derating due to # of conductors according to table 310.15 (b)(2)(a) but you can legally use 13 #12 thhn in a 1/2 in emt

as far as mc cable goes ive only seen 3 wire and 4 wire, so i asumed that was all they made, i was probably wrong on that.

Edited by whirlwind

Eric, the total cost should include revenue lost from factories production shutdown. I am not talking about the cost of line installation. The total cost would include revenue losses from power outages, total cost of repairs over period of time. The cost of dig, cable is one part, but these other parts also matter. Imagine Intalco shutting down for 2 weeks due to lack of power?

Glass, i agree with your analysis, i was referring to genepires post.

what it comes down to for the PUD's is they would rather spend alittle money every now and again, they probly write the repairs off in taxes anyway, then spend alot of money trying to rerun all the lines.

• 2 months later...

Spend this- 1/4 of the country is out of power. Now this is not only just convenience issue! This is a real threat to safety of people, to national security and economy of the country. In the moment like this, it is hard to justify just $$$ value on infrastructure investment. Lucky, it is not that cold yet, however sitting in the dark house can present a real threat to a lot of people. Looks to me this near sighted policy of placing residential power lines above the ground has to be revisited.

Spend this- 1/4 of the country is out of power. Now this is not only just convenience issue! This is a real threat to safety of people, to national security and economy of the country. In the moment like this, it is hard to justify just $$$ value on infrastructure investment. Lucky, it is not that cold yet, however sitting in the dark house can present a real threat to a lot of people. Looks to me this near sighted policy of placing residential power lines above the ground has to be revisited.

ChemTrails!!!

Chris Christie is the Patron Saint of Fat Fucks.

NO SHIT? :shock: Earthshaking newz man. So sorry. When did ya lose the title Pat?

edit: Street shout out to my bro Denali Dave. Dave, was Pat the Patron saint of fat fucks AND the queen of all bitches? or Just the first one?

Edited by billcoe