Dragontail Death

Moonshiner

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad. Our hearts go out to family and friends.

Pure speculation on my part but from where the body was found he could have been soloing the Gerber/Sink, Backbone, or may be even Serpentine (unlikely I would think) or been higher up and on the Fin itself. I would think a fall from the Fin the most likely from the description given and the difficulty of the Fin by comparison to the rest of the routes mentioned.

Good look down at the ledge systems below the Fin.

295205_4005861420475_724482804_n.jpg

Sadly Dragontail has a long list of fatalities on this side of the face. (more than anywhere else in the range I believe)

298Dragontail_annotated.jpg

Sadly Dragontail has a long list of fatalities on this side of the face. (more than anywhere else in the range I believe)

Don Heller, Jan 1974

George Kotick, 1987

Hope Barnes

Kathy Phibbs, Jan 1991

Otto and Max Vaclavek, Sept 2007

Andrea Basque, Aug 2008

Rest in peace fellow climbers

Very sad. When my wife and I were returning to the parking lot on friday we saw him getting ready to set off. He looked full of life and excited for the adventure ahead, rocking out to Bob Marley. Too young to die. My condolences to his family.

Condolences to the family and friends of the fallen climber. Incredibly sad news. I spent saturday on the west face of CBR with Shaun (Verticolorful), the route was quite wet, and it rained intermittently throughout the day. I imagine conditions on D-tail were even worse. It's not hard to imagine a fatal slip on wet rock that day. I'm so sorry for those affected by this painful loss.

FYI. Sol is spot on.

Lots of big snow banks still on the DT's face, and a ton of running water. I climbed a good bit yesterday totally soaked and very cold. Still water ice high on the face and a ton of frost shatter rock. More than I ever seem to remember. (G/S and Backbone this time) Very easy to see a slip on wet rock or a seeming solid hold come off in your hand right now or blow a foot. Because of the wet conditions we had signifigant rock fall most of the day with a sunrise start on the climb. The climbing will be a lot more fun after just a few weeks of good weather and sun shine.

Please BECAREFUL out there!

Again, our prayers for friends and family.

Several of us locals comprised the ground crew to climb up Backbone last Wed. to retrieve the young man's body. Fortunately, the Snohomish Co. helicopter and mt. rescue crew that included Oyvind were able to successfully long line him out of there before we arrived at the base of the Fin.

Since the young man was wearing hiking boots and was new to climbing, we surmised that he probably hiked up the backside from Aasgard Pass. It was icy above the Fin where he might have down climbed from the summit and slipped.

"Full of life" is exactly how I would have described Matt Trinkle. In his freshman year at CWU he'd already become a cornerstone of the Central climbing community. He was energetic, outgoing and incredibly creative. I was truly looking forward to watching him grow as a climber and person. It is tragic that none of us will have that pleasure.

I and some of the other climbers at Central had become worried about Matt's attitude toward risk. Although talented, his excitement for danger far exceeded his experience. I don't think he told any other climbers of his plans that day. Upon hearing the news, I think most of us assumed that he had been soloing one of the routes Dane mentioned. However, what Kyle said might make more sense. I know (third hand info) he'd talked of climbing Dragontail with a friend. Perhaps he hiked the backside and was downclimbing above the fin for some reconnaissance. I suppose we will never know. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.