Colchuck Glacier ... any recent info?

mikestuckey

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure some folks will chime in with more recent information for ya, but I was up there about a month ago. There seemed to be tons of snow on the glacier at that point, though. A few wet slides had slid on a pretty bullet proof base, but it was still easily managable with crampons / single axe.

photos here: http://www.highpressureadventures.blogspot.com/2012/06/june-9-colchuck.html

Colchuck Glacier is not very steep. I see no reason to bring a second tool in any conditions if that's what you're asking. If you are asking if you can get away with bringing a single crampon, I don't recommend that.

June 17: we didn't put on crampons, ice axe useful for glissading down the whole thing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurelfan/7463257658/in/set-72157630337520462

(some adjoining photos are from the North Buttress Couloir, ignore these. And also ignore photos in which there are second tools attached to packs, those were for NBC. Or look at them and go do the NBC)

Last November: very icy, crampons necessary

Descending Colchuck Glacier

Had a good view of the glacier from the serpentine arete monday, its in prime shape, with a well traveled boot pack. crampons and a single axe (and rope depending on comfort level) are all that are needed. Looks like minimal snow traval from the notch to the summit. Looks like most people have been glissading the glacier in the soft, late afternoon snow. Start really early this weekend, temps are going to be high and that route would be miserable in the sun and soft snow.