• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
andy dorais

[TR] Mount Rainier: Skiing Speed Record 5:00:57 - Disappointment Cleaver 6/29/2012

Based on my previous experiences, your time up and down would have seemed impossibly fast and I'd have said you were lying, crazy, dangerous or some combination of the three.

Skis are much faster, both up and down than booting it. I went from Paradise to Muir in 90 minues on skis. My fastest outing on boots was 2 hours. Just saying.

Based on my previous experiences, your time up and down would have seemed impossibly fast and I'd have said you were lying, crazy, dangerous or some combination of the three.

Skis are much faster, both up and down than booting it. I went from Paradise to Muir in 90 minues on skis. My fastest outing on boots was 2 hours. Just saying.

You didn't bother to read the rest of my post did you?

No, I ignore 90% of your sanctimonious bullshit. I was just subtlety trying to chest beat.

Edited by DPS

No, I ignore 90% of your sanctimonious bullshit. I was just subtlety trying to chest beat.

quality

Compared to all the other speed records/runs/whatevers on Rainier, the Dorais brothers were not solo, brought avy gear, brought crevasse rescue gear, roped up, did not stash gear for the ascent, and did not cache gear on the descent. Even if such speed attempts inevitably provide incentives to cut corners, compared to other similar attempts on Rainier in recent years, this one sets a new standard for safety and fair play.

I don't understand any of the negative comments. To each their own, sometimes fast is fun, esp. when you are in such good shape (as they obviously are) that it is a joy to push yourself. Great job boys, come back and do some more enjoyable routes in these cool parts!

Compared to all the other speed records/runs/whatevers on Rainier, the Dorais brothers were not solo, brought avy gear, brought crevasse rescue gear, roped up, did not stash gear for the ascent, and did not cache gear on the descent. Even if such speed attempts inevitably provide incentives to cut corners, compared to other similar attempts on Rainier in recent years, this one sets a new standard for safety and fair play.

+1

yep. with new standards, styles, and methods creeping into "american [pnw] mountaineering", the haters will haveto yet add another ueseless peice of equipment to their rack: cognitive dissonance.

Edited by TBay