[TR] Mount Rainier: Skiing Speed Record 5:00:57 - Disappointment Cleaver 6/29/2012

andy dorais

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my previous experiences, your time up and down would have seemed impossibly fast and I'd have said you were lying, crazy, dangerous or some combination of the three.

Skis are much faster, both up and down than booting it. I went from Paradise to Muir in 90 minues on skis. My fastest outing on boots was 2 hours. Just saying.

Based on my previous experiences, your time up and down would have seemed impossibly fast and I'd have said you were lying, crazy, dangerous or some combination of the three.

Skis are much faster, both up and down than booting it. I went from Paradise to Muir in 90 minues on skis. My fastest outing on boots was 2 hours. Just saying.

You didn't bother to read the rest of my post did you?

Compared to all the other speed records/runs/whatevers on Rainier, the Dorais brothers were not solo, brought avy gear, brought crevasse rescue gear, roped up, did not stash gear for the ascent, and did not cache gear on the descent. Even if such speed attempts inevitably provide incentives to cut corners, compared to other similar attempts on Rainier in recent years, this one sets a new standard for safety and fair play.

I don't understand any of the negative comments. To each their own, sometimes fast is fun, esp. when you are in such good shape (as they obviously are) that it is a joy to push yourself. Great job boys, come back and do some more enjoyable routes in these cool parts!

Compared to all the other speed records/runs/whatevers on Rainier, the Dorais brothers were not solo, brought avy gear, brought crevasse rescue gear, roped up, did not stash gear for the ascent, and did not cache gear on the descent. Even if such speed attempts inevitably provide incentives to cut corners, compared to other similar attempts on Rainier in recent years, this one sets a new standard for safety and fair play.

+1

yep. with new standards, styles, and methods creeping into "american [pnw] mountaineering", the haters will haveto yet add another ueseless peice of equipment to their rack: cognitive dissonance.

Edited by TBay