Mountain suggestions after Mt. Shasta via av gulch

Sig Olsen

Summited Mt. Shasta in 2 days via avalanche gulch. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say each day was a 7 or 8 in difficulty. Now prefer snow/ ice travel so I can glissade down. I will be flying out from Florida. Would prefer it be a 14'er. Great if there were some place close that I could start working towards technical climbing.

My prior climbs:

Mt Mitchell - north carolina from black mountain campground. Class 3

Longs Peak, Colorado RMNP via keyhole route class 3& class 4

It did take 3 attempts. I realized it never would be easier so I summited the last time.

Mt. Shasta via avalanche gulch in 2 days. Camped at Helen Lake.

I probably will not be able to get away before January again for mountain climbing. So figure my window of climbing any time after January 2013.

Thanks again everyone for any input.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks 111 and DPS. I like both options. I am considering the 8 day alpine ascents rainier training/summit course for next year. Seems that's the best plan and if I have extra time and money mt Adams looks like a great option to add in.

Thanks again for input. Siggy.

Have you considered moving from Florida? If you're really into climbing, I would try to make that happen. You'll save a lot of money in the long run, and become a better climber much faster. Climbing is a lot safer when you do it regularly vs. sporadically

Thanks 111 and DPS. I like both options. I am considering the 8 day alpine ascents rainier training/summit course for next year. Seems that's the best plan and if I have extra time and money mt Adams looks like a great option to add in.

Thanks again for input. Siggy.

I think the training program is a great idea. Wouldn't recommend Adams either after Rainier, unless it is on the same trip. Lots more options for rock training closer to you. Senecca Rocks, Red River Gorge, North Carolina. I'm sure you can find guides that opporate in all of those areas.

Moving out of Florida is out of the cards. All of my family is here and would rather fly away when I can. I am looking for harder more challenging climbs. I like a 2 or 3 full days to summit like Shasta. I just cant see myself flying to do a day climb. Plus I don't like mountain hopping. 1 mountain per trip unless it would be primer mountain to the real mountain of the trip I guess. I do not have a solid climbing partner so I know my options are limited.

Thanks again for all input. Siggy.

I think you could have a great time in the North Cascades sans partner if you spent a week or more peak bagging and car camping in between. Sahale, Ruth, Pugh, Black, Tomyhoi, Three Fingers, etc., etc. It will be eye opening.

I think you could have a great time in the North Cascades sans partner if you spent a week or more peak bagging and car camping in between. Sahale, Ruth, Pugh, Black, Tomyhoi, Three Fingers, etc., etc. It will be eye opening.

Great suggestion -- i wonder why I've never done this

Great suggestion -- i wonder why I've never done this

I agree. Some of my most fun times have been climbing on these smaller, less committing peaks. They are gems in beautiful surroundings.