Good non-insulated boot with a front welt???

burchey

Hey kids,

Fully auto crampons for alpine ice - need to get some boots for the summer alpine ice / approach, but can't find a boot I like that will work with my G14s. Nepals are way too warm.

Suggestions? Leather/Synth is fine, nepals fit me perfectly shape-wise. Can't find anything with the front welt that isn't insulated.

Should I just give in and get some new crampons for ice with the rubber toe strap instead?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might just want to go with some G12s with a plastic front piece and a pair of the red Trangos or Scarpa Charmoz. Get yourself a warmer pair of boots for winter climbing with the G12s or your G14s. Pretty much all you need for 98% of climbing in the cascades.

You might just want to go with some G12s with a plastic front piece and a pair of the red Trangos or Scarpa Charmoz. Get yourself a warmer pair of boots for winter climbing with the G12s or your G14s. Pretty much all you need for 98% of climbing in the cascades.

Yeah, thought about that. I'm already set for summer/winter in the Sierras and Cascades. I just need some summer boots for down Sierra-way - my current gen mountaineering cramps probably won't cut it for alpine ice - G12s would do, just didn't want to drop a lot of cash on boots and another set of cramps if I didn't have to. Probably makes sense, get a better and lighter boot without the front welt - grab a pair of G12s - they climb alpine ice pretty well.

see if you can scare up some LS Nepal Tops (same boot as the Nepal Extreme, but uninsulated).

http://www.lasportiva.com/mountain.html?&L=1&tt_products%5Bproduct%5D=30&cHash=3276c2bed17cc9007635f12c1f370609

they used to be widely available here (I had a pair - fantastic boots), but I think now only orderalble from Europe

you might also try the LS Karakoram Pro

http://www.lasportiva.com/mountain.html?&L=1&tt_products%5Bproduct%5D=35&cHash=a8c535a2358120c0cec26b6b048c27ca

The Makalu is a snow-trudging and step kicking boot - heavy and not very technical. I had a pair, but the nepal tops are a much better boot in all aspects.

The Scarpa Mont Blanc is insulated - people report them to be as warm as the Nepal Extreme

Great suggestions, ECB - I think the weight of those boots would be an issue, I'd like something a little lighter if I can get it. Appears front welt = same weight as my Nepals. Still leaning towards a light boot/another set of crampons.

Mt. Blanc is as insulated as Nepal.

Actually, can't think of a boot with front toe-welt that isn't insulated.

Pretty much everything meant for alpine rock has a flush toe box and sole for better edging performance.

See if you can scare up some of the new Petzl rubber toe bails that slot into full-auto crampons.