Looking for climbs

MitchB

I'm new to the world of mountaineering and was wondering what climbs would be a good idea to try. I have done a guided climb of Mt. Rainier and now I'm looking for something that I could do without guides with some friends. My friends have some mountaineering experience and a lot of rock climbing experience but are relatively new to the game as well. Any suggestions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what kind of climbs you're looking for. Also general neighborhood comes in handy. For I90 everybody loves the Tooth for an intro climb. If you want somethin better, but a little more demanding hit Stuart. You can find everything from scrambles to badass multi-pitch granite. Out hwy 2 there's a plethora of stuff in the Enchantmants. Most people would just advise picking up the Beckey bible for the neighborhood you're nearest and study up... Have fun!

My friends have some mountaineering experience and a lot of rock climbing experience but are relatively new to the game as well. Any suggestions?

... "Some" experience often means enough to get yourself in serious trouble. Be nice to some folks with a lot of experience or take a mountaineering class through one of the many organizations that do them. I'm assuming you're not in ATL... Seattle has a ton of options. Check out the Mountaineers. They're infamous for many reasons, but they'll give you a good start.

Well the point is to not try anything overwhelming that would put us in a dangerous situation. I go to school in Atlanta but I'm moving to Seattle when I graduate so this is for the future. I was just wondering if there where any lesser known climbs in the Cascades that would be good to start out on.

Right on... The Tooth is a fun, easy climb that gives you a taste of Alpine. Close to Seattle. A couple other alpine rock routes that are great: South Early Winter Spire SE Arete; Kangaroo Temple; Ingalls.

If you're looking for glaciers and snow, Olympus is incredible and the glaciers are not quite as hectic as Rainier. El Dorado is a great climb too.

Try the Nelson and Potterfield books. They've got some great ones.

The Beckey bible is great, but it's more bedtime reading for folks who have already climbed all the common routes in the area or enjoy the history (I have all three :) )

:tup: Nelson and Potterfield will keep you busy for a summer or two and their are a minimum of obvious gully's to be found.

A few other for Introductory alpine:

Shuksan, Sulphide Glacier - fun, easy, pretty, a little rock scramble at the end.

Glacier Peak, Sitkum Glacier - long approach, remote setting, but a very benign glacier.

It's more or less cragging, but the stuff up at Washington Pass is just fun (South Early Winter Spire, North Early Winter, Liberty Bell, Cutthroat etc.)