• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
MX

Best rappel route down Upper Town Wall at Index?

Index Upper Town Wall question beta needed: I'm planning to climb Davis Holland/Lovin' Arms and rappel back to the base. I've done the route before, but it's been over ten years, so I'm looking for some current beta. Two questions:

1. What is the best rap route? Is it SWIM, or something else?

2. Can this be done with a single 70m rope? I gotta believe the answer is yes, and would love to leave the second rope behind.

Thanks for any help or tips.

We rapped straight down Lovin Arms with a 70. Good idea to have a prussik on the rap though. We almost missed the anchor below the ledge where lovin arms starts!

Walk off is safer and very easy. Go west until u hit an old roadbed, take road to cable blockaid. Pick up well worn trail south. This connects with main upper wall trail about 500' from upper wall base.

As wet as its been i would expect the 4th pitch to be wet and difficult

Did the route 3 weeks ago, 4th pitch was super wet, a couple damp jams on P1 as well. We rapped heavens gate.

255366_448982215113922_1246235754_n.jpg

super straightforward and can be done with a 60 (so I'm told). 70 makes it plush.

I'd say Swim is probably the easiest. Hard to miss the 1/2" bolts with chain straight down a clean face. I've done it at night without a headlamp. (twice now....)

doesn't that last rap on heavens gate require a 70?

no idea, we had an 80.

I remember reading a description somewhere saying that it could be done with a shorter cord....

You can rap DH/LA with one rope. From the top of the 3rd pitch of DH, rap straight down (2 raps get you to the ground). A 70m gets you all the way to dirt on the last rap, a 60 gets you to the ledge about 20 ft up on Calling Wolfgang, which requires a downclimbing.

Did the route 3 weeks ago, 4th pitch was super wet, a couple damp jams on P1 as well. We rapped heavens gate.

255366_448982215113922_1246235754_n.jpg

super straightforward and can be done with a 60 (so I'm told). 70 makes it plush.

Last rap requires 70m for sure, 60 WILL NOT REACH unless you traverse and do some funky shit.