DC = deer killer

pope

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried for years to understand the idea behind posing with your kill. I've always wondered the purpose. If it is to showcase the animal, a shot of it live would work better I think as well as requiring more hunting skill. Posed photos are less creepy than taxidermied trophies on your wall, but still... can someone please explain this to me?

Edited by JoeR

Nice! Darrels must have been so big he couldn't drag it out of da woods. Bar-B-Q at Darrel's house! Oly brings the beer, I've got the music covered.

1276720764_5002.jpg

Whhoo- hoo, we're going to be listening to WHAM! -

1276720226_500.jpg

PS, nice to have the memories recorded from before you eat it as opposed to after you eat it, thus pictures.

awesome. Deer is too much meat for me, though, I don't want to be one of those families with a deep freezer filled with meat that takes 2 years to eat.

I think I'd prefer to hunt rabbits. I make a mean stew!

YUM!

I shot a few rabbits when I was a kid. The best part is how they tumble if you get them while they're moving fast

Rabbits are super tasty, plus being super easy to raise and cook they make a great family food source.

Squirrels are tasty as well, cook like a leaner version of rabbit.

Check out how this restaurant in Britain does it up with the squirrel. Featured on The F Word.

Still no explanation of the posed death gallery photos though. Bill took a whack at it, but I'm still not getting it.

haven't humans been posing w/ their kills since forever-fuck ago? :)

cave_painting.jpg

Yeah, but pretending to be all sensitive about it ("I don't even understand it! They're so beautiful, why not just capture them in a pretty picture??") helps some people get laid.

I guess taking a kill picture is just hard for me to understand. Having been raised with hunting as a normal part of life, most of the pictures people took were of scenery or people. Taking a kill picture of a deer would be like taking a kill picture with a cow or something. I'm not saying that it is wrong, just different from my experience of what hunting is all about.

Of course there was one distant cousin who had some mounted heads in his house, but we all made fun of him for wasting money on the taxidermist. He was awful sensitive about his mounted heads though. Especially the huge elk mount straining the load-bearing capacity of the living room wall in his double wide. Come to think of it, he had a bunch of posed kill shots as well.

I guess taking a kill picture is just hard for me to understand. Having been raised with hunting as a normal part of life, most of the pictures people took were of scenery or people. Taking a kill picture of a deer would be like taking a kill picture with a cow or something. I'm not saying that it is wrong, just different from my experience of what hunting is all about.

Of course there was one distant cousin who had some mounted heads in his house, but we all made fun of him for wasting money on the taxidermist. He was awful sensitive about his mounted heads though. Especially the huge elk mount straining the load-bearing capacity of the living room wall in his double wide. Come to think of it, he had a bunch of posed kill shots as well.

I don’t hunt myself but I don’t think it’s terribly different than climbers taking summit shots, fisherman hoisting their catch, etc, etc, etc. Just seems like a tangible way to capture the particular end they’ve been seeking in a hobby that they’ve normally invested quite a bit of time, energy, and passion into – and serves as a basis for sharing the experience with fellow hunters, fishermen, family, etc.

My mom likes to post pictures of herself at the farmers market holding up the shiny organic vegetables she buys. I know other people that like to take photos of the dinner that they cooked. Other people take photos of themselves on the summit. It's all the same sort of "look at what I did."

Personally, I'm not into hunting enough to care about taking shots like this, but I know guys who are -- they work hard at hunting a nice specimen and they want to show everyone the product of their hardwork. Don't fishermen do the same thing?

I've tried for years to understand the idea behind posing with your kill. I've always wondered the purpose. If it is to showcase the animal, a shot of it live would work better I think as well as requiring more hunting skill. Posed photos are less creepy than taxidermied trophies on your wall, but still... can someone please explain this to me?

Am I the only person here on Facebook? Scratch the word "kill" above and substitute anything anybody just did that they enjoyed...scratch yer ass, walk the dog, go to the store, etc etc etc. Check it out, called "Facebook". You'll be shocked. Pretty common thing it appears as Jayb says upthread.

Ya can't make stuff like this up:-)

Am I the only person here on Facebook? Scratch the word "kill" above and substitute anything anybody just did that they enjoyed...scratch yer ass, walk the dog, go to the store, etc etc etc. Check it out, called "Facebook". You'll be shocked. Pretty common thing it appears as Jayb says upthread.

Ya can't make stuff like this up:-)

Try to look at it this way... If you bagged the other kind of "cougar", you'd certainly want a trophy photo for the records, right? This is same, same, like BillCoe says.

I wish I had a dime for every time someone on this sight said "it didn't happen if you ain't got pics..."