Should “Motorcycle Hill" have been closed?

NotMessner

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the consensus was at 11200' camp as to the slide hazard and if the word was that the hazard was high, were they aware of that and did they choose to go on up despite of the hazard.

Yea the consensus was the hazard was high. Most people on the mountain knew it since there had been two other slides that involved people the day prior to this slide. These guys did not speak english and probably did not get the word of mouth talk going around camp and apparently did not asses the danger themselves appropriately. They were going down not up when the slide occurred.

The only reason I went down several hours after them was because I heard on the radio that that slope slid overnight.

Thanks Alasdair for bringing some intelligence to the conversation. I was stuck in the storm at 14 and I don't think I would have been moving then. That was a great deal of snow and wind deposit in a 48 hour period. I was glad that we'd already moved through there twice.

However, you look up at that slope, and you don't necessarily think it would slide big like that.

I can tell you, we had a fair number of slides at 14 that made you pause a lot. We got one on video that dusted the ranger tents at the end of camp and sent people running. With that being seen, we took an extra rest day at 14 before heading up the fixed lines - just because of instability.

Not to mention, there was an avalanche that came across the area BELOW the fixed lines that slightly injured a team of four that required some time in the medi cal tent for them.

That storm was significant for sure.

And yes, objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

So, I sat in on one of those timeshares at 14. Didn't even get the free wine they promised. They sat us down for 2 hours and told us it was great real estate that you needed to access through 62 mile dangerous airplane ride and 9 miles of suck walking over dangerous holes. Made Vegas timeshares look downright safe.