Lightweight Shelter

olyclimber

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dittli and I used to carry a North Face tent...I forget the name. Mostly we just carried the fly and poles and left the tent part at home. I used to have a one-yard square of bug netting that I'd drape over the top of my sleeping bag. I wore a billed cap to keep the netting off my face. One of the tarp options would probably work, but my bit of wisdom to add is the yard of bug netting. That was the key in the North Cascades.

Nobody has mentioned any Warmlite tents yet. A 2R would fit the bill of your requirements. I haven't owned one, but I have sure been impressed with the nights I shared a 3R with 1-2 others through some storms. Super light and strong. But condensation can be an issue if you close all the vents. People either love them or hate them. Most of the haters, I've noticed, aren't owners.

$$$$$ is the only problem.

Edited by mccallboater

• 8 months later...

Just had a peak at the new 2 and 3 person Imogene tents from GoLite, at their Boise store. Impressive. Not for high winds or deep snow, but for backpacking, bike tours, self support kayaking, bingo. The 3 person version is a touch over 3 pounds. I checked the weight with a scale in the shop. The two person version is less, but the roofline is low enough to make changing clothes not fun. Lots more room in the Imogene 3 than my stolen BD lighthouse, for the same weight. This might be the replacement.

Won't fit on a ledge though, or, I expect, ride out storms as well.