Kautz screw size?

Josh Wood

I'm headed out to the Kautz in a couple weeks and was wondering about the typical screws that people bring. My glacier ice climbing experience is limited and I don't know what to bring along. Is the ice usually hard, so 13cm's are good or is it terrible ice and 19's and 22's are a better option?

My guess is that longer screws are the answer, but I don't want to carry any more than I need.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just climbed that route on Friday and compared to last year (and the year before) there is way, way less snow over the ice in the upper portion of the chute. If you look at the MORA blog for the Kautz it actually shows ice in the upper chute in early May.

Before our climb it looked snow covered from a distance but ended up being only 12" or less of weak snice over better ice. I would try to sink pickets but they bottomed out 1/2 way. Some excavation revealed decent ice underneath. Long screws were hard to sink for the last few cm's and seemed very strong.

Would the weight of a couple of slightly longer screws really prevent you from climbing the route? There's plenty of other places in one's kit to shave weight . . .

• 4 weeks later...