Homemade Split Board

bsamp1134

So most of the time i climb in spring i carry my snowboard (sucks donut) I am way to poor to buy a splitboard. I already snowboard in my Koflach Verticals. Any suggestions on homemade splitboards/performance issues? and will my trusty dusty kofie's work with the new bindings? Any help or advice greatly appreciated; as im not quite ready to jump in and cut my board in half

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a used split board, but don't cut your board in half. You will be into it ~$300 with skins and a split kit, and you can probably find a used one for not much more. And you can save your regular board for the occasional lift served day.

A real splitboard will ride, much, much better than a homemade one. I think I have seen new Voile's and K2's at the end of the season for ~$500. You can use whatever binding you are currently using on your snowboard.

The shop at Snowboard Connection has possibly the best splitboard kit service available - they've bought the tools to do it as precisely as possible, and quite likely will do a better job than most of us could do on our home benches. Drop in and ask them about it.

• 2 weeks later...

You should talk to Nick Parko at Snowboard Connection in Seattle. He has a side business called Sick Splits where he takes your board and splits it using a high pressure and very precise water jet. He is in the process of splitting a board for me and doing some custom work on my bindings so my Nepals will fit in the bindings. Check out his website: www.sicksplits.com

• 4 weeks later...

DIY boards work fine. Especially if you are just looking for a fun way down from the alpine. Unless you are a 'serious' snowboarder.. It's about all I've used for. The past 3 years after not being able to afford the huge mark up on the novelty of a two peice snowboard.

You can probably get some used voile hardware for cheap.. occasionally new skins pop up super cheap, or you could renovate bsomeones old ones.

If you need that inside edge, you probably need crampons anyways. Or at least that is my experiance. It's usually the curved edge that wants to slide out anyways.

Shiny and new, out the box is great and all, but if you are working on a budget, you can get it done.

As far as using your Koflach boots, I tried using my old Asolo plastics back in my early split days with the mountain plate bindings (toe/heel bails) with no joy, trying to keep the opposite side of the deck up during a heelside turn ended up being impossible in firm conditions....too much heel flex. Also had problems with the toes/heels of the boots dragging due to boots being so long(on back foot only). Ended up using AT boots to make those bingings work for many years. I've since switched to using my Nepals or Nupses with regular strap bindings since I enjoy accessing climbs with my split and those boots work much better in the alpine for me.

• 4 weeks later...