[TR] Mt. Garfield - Infinite Outrage (Bliss) to p. 20 6/15/2012

JasonG

Trip: Mt. Garfield - Infinite Outrage (Bliss) to p. 20

Date: 6/15/2012

Trip Report:

Curt and I finally got to go and check out what all the fuss is about. Our verdict.... much ado about nothing. Aside from people getting their panties in a wad over exact wilderness boundaries (the Middle Fork Valley is no Little Beaver), charges of over bolting are quite exaggerated. In fact, we often were scratching our heads about exactly where the line went as the bolts weren't always obvious (as I would have expected from the wailing and gnashing of teeth). The pitches 5.7 and under are minimally bolted, and those 5.8 and up, bolted comfortably but not excessively. I'd say Bravo to the Leland and Co. for putting up a fine route on an impressive feature, it's just unfortunate that I was too out of practice to finish it!

Even with a start at first light from the road, we ran out of time and energy at the top of pitch 20. Part of our slowness was due to the wetness on most every pitch (is this normal in the spring, or a result of the wet June?), but part was my lack of time on the rock in recent years. Just be advised the you pretty much need to simul all the easier pitches if you want to pull this off comfortably in a day. Also, the topo is a bit confusing on the 5.0 unbolted section above p. 15. It has probably been said before on one of the many IB threads, but from the top of p.15 you diagonal up and right about 200' to a bush with many rap slings, then go straight up to the next station (~80'), and up and veer left from there ~140 feet to the next station and the start of p.18. I found the .10c pitch (19) to be quite challenging, though Curt led it in fine style. Even though we didn't get to the top, the views didn't disappoint, and were much better than I was expecting. It is a worthy climb in every sense, and to the top of p. 14 would make a great mellower day. The rock is very, very good!

Side note - On the way down we saw a large, dead goat on a ledge to the skier's right of the climbing route. Interesting, I haven't seen that before. The vultures were starting to move in as we were leaving. Also, the black flies were pretty bad on the entire route, perhaps due to the wetness?

IMG_32021.jpg

IMG_32121.jpg

IMG_32082.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_32181.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_32271.jpg

IMG_32351.jpg

Gear Notes:

20+ draws and some small nuts and cams for the runout sections. Two 60m ropes. Helmet.

Approach Notes:

Cairn marks the trail along Middle Fork Road, approx. 1 mile past Taylor River bridge.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the beta is you have to start from the base of the climbing at dawn, that and simul rap on the descent.

Either that or tie some neon surveyor tape to the belays as you go up and take super bright headlamps and plan on rapping in the dark.

You're right near the solstice which is good for length of day, it's just maybe a wetter year than normal. I think this climb would dry out if there were a few full sun days in a row, it is south facing.

Its a good route but you're about 10 years late for any debate. :)

When I climbed it we had plenty of time, but you have to be reasonably fast. We simulclimbed the first 8 pitches or so as a single block. The route is great training for speed.

I wouldn't climb under another party on this route!

Yes, the first low angled section is polished granite and fantastically clean, but most exposed to rockfall. The next section all the way through the mandatory unprotected "4th" - which is a lot of pitches - can be a bit friable at times. It isn't as exposed as generally you are on the climbers left of the face, but my experience is that really there is no where to hide from rockfall from above if you are on the lower half of the route. You might not see folks who are really high up from the first slabby pitches, but I would be on high alert if it's not O-dark-30 when you are starting up the route and someone may be ahead of you! The most likely scenario is that folks rapp'ing back down the route are going to kick some stuff off.

Second and third pic of this TR show that danger zone...

Yes, yes, I would go someplace else if folks were above. While we didn't kick anything big off, small bit of rockfall seem unavoidable on rappel.

Good point about the debate being pretty much over on this one, I didn't realize how much time has passed since it was put up. I'm getting old!

@RD-sorry to tease you (though I know you like it), but the climbing was good, clean fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point about the debate being pretty much over on this one, I didn't realize how much time has passed since it was put up. I'm getting old!

The debate ain't over yet at all.

I'm glad y'all had fun but the fact is: it's an illegal, power-drilled, rap-bolted sport-climb in a wilderness area, whether the route "creators" knew it or not. Please do not further endorse it by climbing it again. Thank you.

The debate ain't over yet at all.

I'm glad y'all had fun but the fact is: it's an illegal, power-drilled, rap-bolted sport-climb in a wilderness area, whether the route "creators" knew it or not. Please do not further endorse it by climbing it again. Thank you.

I dont know Gene, this may be the dawg's most CIVIL post to date!

Posted on-topic? Yup, bolting controversy already mentioned

Clear message? Pretty much

A few nods of acknowledgement to those with differing views? Sorta

If he keeps this pattern up, readers around here might actually find his posts useful.