[TR] Middle Sister - North Slope via Pole Creek 6/11/2012

pioneerian

Trip: Middle Sister - North Slope via Pole Creek

Date: 6/11/2012

Trip Report:

Time to break away from the pack and climb off to the mountains on a solo mission. Not to summit (although of course that is the intended destination), but really to feel the solitude of silencing glaciers, the drama of the rough surrounding peaks, and mostly to find that breathtaking moment which is seemingly the perfect blend of pure contentment, wonder, and awe. The Three Sisters Wilderness has filled this need many times before and my most recent trip was no different.

With limited time on my hands, I loaded up my gear and drove the rickety F150 through Sisters, stopping to supply myself with passes and a post climb Fosters – I don’t know why but it’s the only time I can drink that stuff, just love the 24 oz can! Made it up to the Pole Creek Trailhead around 1ish and met some OSU students who were also plagued with limited time and were tortured by the fact they couldn’t tag along. I know that feeling all too well. It hits every time I see others pack for a long backpacking tour or trip up the mountains. I often wonder how far we are from just staying in the wild.

The approach into Middle Sis was the usual for this time of year. Clear of snow and trees to the Green Lakes trail intersection at the creek crossing. Poking around here and there, I settled down for the night just below the Hayden at 7100’. Treating myself to dinner and a movie – salmon, cheese, and hot sauce filled tortillas with some wasabi almonds on the side while watching the first stars appear through the fading sky was just what I had hoped for.

Broken_Top.jpg

It was an unusually warm night only getting down to around 40, so I decided to get a jump on things and took off around 4:30 am. Looking up, I knew that the day wasn’t going to be one for the photo books. The clouds rolled in over the night and covered everything to the west from about 8500’ and up.

Sunrise5.jpg

I made it to the saddle around 6:15 am through a day or two old 8 inches. From here, it was a low visibility climb with winds sustained around 30 mph and nice and wet from the clouds. Conditions weren’t great so the climb up was a little more sketchy than normal. The new snow was deep enough that my steps were not getting to the base layer and the new snow hadn’t quite bonded and wanted to slough off. Slow and steady was the name of the game both up and down.

I made it to the summit around 7 for a 30’ view. That didn’t offer much temptation to hang around for very long, so I was quick to head back to the saddle. The decent was a little trickier as my downward steps made the new snow want to displace. Taking my time burying my axe to the head on every other step added on to the decent. About half way back to the saddle the long awaited moment came and it was just what I was hoping for. A 30 second break in the clouds was all that I needed to be memorized once again by the view of North Sister. Her rocky ridges and staggering slopes demanded my attention but too soon faded away, hidden by the all too familiar blanket of clouds.

Slope.jpg

North_Sister_061212.jpg

I still managed to get back to camp around 9. After a quick jalapeno and cheese bagel and a quick repack, I headed out. Pole creek by 11:00 which meant for an emotional reunion with my awaiting Foster’s. All in all, a fantastic climb that will remain one of my favorite places in the Cascades. Based on the conditions, I wouldn’t have turned down a rope, pickets, and a few fellow climbers.

Gear Notes:

Helmet, Axe, Crampons, GPS*

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic