Accident on Baker?

Choada_Boy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new story suggests he never meant to ski the Coleman Headwall, a difficult descent, but tipped over and fell down it? Did I understand that correctly?

I don't think that's correct. Other parties reported talking to the skiers on the summit and they were definitely intending to ski the headwall. The following TR had a picture of two skiers on the upper part of the headwall:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1072472/TR_Mount_Baker_North_Ridge_6_1#Post1072472

That picture has been removed, but it showed perfect visibility. I don't know whether the picture was taken before or after the accident.

Other ski parties reported cold, hard snow conditions near the top of the Coleman-Deming route.

My interpretation of the revised press release (assuming that the press didn't mess it up, as they often do) is that the party was probably working their way toward the headwall trying to judge whether the snow would soften. The fall occurred before they felt fully "committed" to the headwall, but not before the terrain was steep enough to result in an uncontrollable fall. This would be consistent with both the press release and the other information I've seen.

That picture has been removed, but it showed perfect visibility. I don't know whether the picture was taken before or after the accident.

It was a brilliant clear day. I was around there at summit level about the time this happened, with a passenger, but we were unaware of what was going on below.