[TR] Kalmiopsis Wilderness - Upper Chetco River 6/9/2012

shapp

Trip: Kalmiopsis Wilderness - Upper Chetco River

Date: 6/9/2012

Trip Report:

Just got back this morning at 1:30 am from an unbelievable trip through the Kalmiopsis wilderness. Traveled to the Baily Mt. Trailhead on June 9, packed in June 10, June 11-14 decending the river, took out about 2pm June 14. Six of us horse packed our boats in 9 miles through the bisquit fire burn area (3 boats per mule) and all our other stuff on our backs, paddled IKs from Carter Creek to the Steel Bridge about 25.5 miles through an incredible series of Class IV gorges. There was probably 150 to 200 individual rapids rating Class III to IV+, with about 30% in the Class IV range. Awsome turquoise blue crystal clear water, cliff jumping, excellent fishing, great deep water soloing potential, even some good looking single pitch rock climbing. Might need a few stitches on a gash my shin from a nasty little swim yesterday, waiting to see if it permanently stops weeping. This is a very wild place seen by very few. The full story, many photos and vids to come in the next few weeks.

Gear Notes:

Aire Lynx I kayaks, mules

Approach Notes:

mules, 9 miles on the Babyfoot Lake/Baily Mt. Trail

Edited by shapp

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Allen hasn't guided that river since the bisquit fire in 2002. I have never beenon a guided trip. If you have the skills to paddle this section (solid class IV) then you don't need a guide. Also, there is currently no guide with a forest service special use permit for this run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone embed these videos, I am electronically challenged

My First look at the Chetco

The Magic Canyon just downstream of the putin

Brian exiting one of the first long Class IVs

Edited by shapp