Lee Vining Ice?

Zenolith

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Lee Vining can be quite good in the early spring at times. In fact, April Fools is named that because it doesn't usually form up until april. Other routes may be in if it stays cold. Like ice anywhere, you'll never know until the time comes. I wouldn't count on any other ice in cali, though, in march. The alpine routes can be fantastic, but not ice, just good snow climbs which will be frozen pretty hard in early morning.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:
It would be unlikely to find good ice in Lee Vining canyon in late March. Actually, for most ice-climbing areas in the lower 48, late March is sketchy. And that time of year is also too early for the alpine ice routes (like U notch).It's a great time of year for J-Tree, though.

I have climbed in Cody in late March, fat plastic ice, t-shirts, wet ropes, it was a blast and super safe. The north facing stuff stays in for a while out there, cold clear nights and all.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

I have climbed in Cody in late March, fat plastic ice, t-shirts, wet ropes, it was a blast and super safe. The north facing stuff stays in for a while out there, cold clear nights and all.

Yea, it can be good into April in Cody (Jasper Hwy and environs in Canada can be great that time of year, too, and Valdez, AK, holds their festival then). I still hold that most (emphasis on most)ice-climbing areas in the lower 48 are sketchy in late March. And that the likelihood of ice in Lee Vining canyon (Zenolith's original question) is low --for most Springs, Lee Vining ice suffers meltout. I wouldn't plan a whole trip around that likelihood, but I would throw tools into the car if skiing in the area then. What other ice-climbing areas have reliable ice in late March?

Don't know about March conditions for Lee Vining, but as Kevin alluded, "April Fools" is named for its late conditions.

Just returned from (2) days at Lee Vining, on the way home from Joshua Tree. Climbed Thurs. and Fri. 01/17 and 01/18. Conditions were good, and cold was predicted to continue (supposed to be a low of 5*F on Fri. night).

The town of Lee Vining sits at an elevation (if I recall) of about 8100', with the ice in a deep, narrow canyon at least a couple hundred feet higher. Most of the climbing is on the north facing side, but there was also some stuff on the opposite side.

Kind of a long drive as its own destination (about 15 hours from Vancouver, WA), but a DEFINITE detour on your way home from Joshua Tree, Bishop, etc.

One note of caution: Try to hit it on the weekdays, as the weekend traffic is reportedly ridiculous.