• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
denalidave

Mt Hood climber Fall Today?

I just heard on the radio there was a fall on the N. side of Hood today. All the stated was the climber fell about 1,000' on the north side. Anyone know what's going on?

Koin 6 linky

Mark Cartier.

Totally bummed and can only imagine how devastated the family must be. Mark has been part of the Oregon climbing community for many, many years. Early 70's onwards.

Just found out it was Mark. Terrible news.

I climbed with Mark in the '80's. He was a much more accomplished climber but took the time to help me improve not only in my climbing but in training for climbing. Great guy.

He was so strong, and smooth. Damn...

d

holy shit! that dude was an animal. was he on the dog route? heard conflicting things north vs south side. terrible. :(

I witnessed the accident yesterday, and was the first person to reach Mark. It was indeed on the south side. Truly sad. My condolences to his family and friends.

was it icier than usual? stonefall? what do you think happened? it's so hard to imagine mark just falling, he was such a beast...

I was up there on June 3rd and it was very icy above the hogsback.

Jim Couch

Conditions were perfect. I did not see or hear any rock or ice fall that may have led to the accident. Down at the bottom of the fall was a different story. Everything from all the folks above us, the entire west crater / old chute area was coming down on us. Two guys made it down to where I was after a bit and once we decided there was nothing to be done but get out of the fall line, we climbed back up to the Hogsback.

I think he just slipped. Landing in such a way he could not get an arrest in before he was going too fast.

The accident has been playing in my head on repeat for almost 48 hours now. I am reminded of the consequences at stake. Reminded about how many people are actually involved in a solo climb. Reminded that each day, or step may be the last one. For Mark and his family, I will try much harder to make the most of each day and the steps it brings.

it freaks me out b/c once i fell, solo, all the way from the top of the w crater rim down to just above the hot rocks, yet walked away w/o even a scratch - i picked up so much spend on the initial fall that, even though i eventually got my axe in, it did nothing until the angle finally eased up at the bottom.

was he wearing a helmet?

Ivan... He was wearing a helmet.

Benb... I received your number from RH and will catch up with you soon as the family would appreciate any info or thoughts that you have.

Mark had become a close friend and climbing partner of mine in the past few years and I am so thankful that the cc.com community has been so respectful and kind. I'll never climb with anyone better.