Mt Hood climber Fall Today?

denalidave

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out it was Mark. Terrible news.

I climbed with Mark in the '80's. He was a much more accomplished climber but took the time to help me improve not only in my climbing but in training for climbing. Great guy.

He was so strong, and smooth. Damn...

d

Conditions were perfect. I did not see or hear any rock or ice fall that may have led to the accident. Down at the bottom of the fall was a different story. Everything from all the folks above us, the entire west crater / old chute area was coming down on us. Two guys made it down to where I was after a bit and once we decided there was nothing to be done but get out of the fall line, we climbed back up to the Hogsback.

I think he just slipped. Landing in such a way he could not get an arrest in before he was going too fast.

The accident has been playing in my head on repeat for almost 48 hours now. I am reminded of the consequences at stake. Reminded about how many people are actually involved in a solo climb. Reminded that each day, or step may be the last one. For Mark and his family, I will try much harder to make the most of each day and the steps it brings.

it freaks me out b/c once i fell, solo, all the way from the top of the w crater rim down to just above the hot rocks, yet walked away w/o even a scratch - i picked up so much spend on the initial fall that, even though i eventually got my axe in, it did nothing until the angle finally eased up at the bottom.

was he wearing a helmet?

Ivan... He was wearing a helmet.

Benb... I received your number from RH and will catch up with you soon as the family would appreciate any info or thoughts that you have.

Mark had become a close friend and climbing partner of mine in the past few years and I am so thankful that the cc.com community has been so respectful and kind. I'll never climb with anyone better.